What Lies Beneath

The spinning desk comes to a sudden halt. I'm lifted off of it and placed onto the...ground?

Suddenly we're surrounded by people in gold and gray cloaks walking by.

Overhead sparkling dim lights.

Silver Gray Corridors.

And a translucent sky,
or is it the ground above? What?

Underground?

"We're here!" Caster says.

"Uh huh," I say, still in shock.

"Come on I'll give you a tour"
He grabs my hand and pulls me along with the flock of a group.
"In this room we have mind training for the mind controllers. And in this one we have blocker training, for those who can block magic. Almost like a human plastic. And in this-"

"PleaseE slow down! I'm still processing- what even is- where?" I'm puzzled.

"Well clearly you really have never learned anything about the outcasts." He shakes his head. "I swear you are so clueless for being a full wizard out here.

To put it shortly, this is where the cast-outs come to study magic. The Wizard World kicks out those that don't conform to their 'conventional magic standards'," he says, with contempt, "if by the time they reach 16 they aren't 'fixed' per se. They are then forced to live a mortal life without any access to the Wizard World or training- that is until one of the secret SUB divisions recruits them. Which, is my job" he says, proudly.

"Uh huh." Is all I can say.

Why hadn't this ever been covered in any of dad's Wizard lessons? Or did I just not pay attention?? I bet Justin would know.

"So I'm a senser, meaning I'm hypersensitive to magic but technically weak in... well doing it." he says, reluctantly. "But I've gotten far better with training from people here who actually care as opposed to people who just give up and throw people who don't fit"

There's like a shimmer of masked hatred in his eyes, intense hatred, deep within Caster when he speaks.

"So yeah there's lots of us. Like I said sensers, blockers, mind controllers, siphoners, and you-"

"Me?" I say.

"Yeah you. Why are you not allowed to work in the Wizard World? Something about the amount of energy you have I'll bet?"

"What-" I try to speak but-

"Oh perfect, Evan's here! Evan!" Caster shouts out before I get a chance to speak another word.

A tall built man , late 20s I'd say, walks towards us. He too has a cloak on, but instead of being gray lined with gold like the others, it's gold lined with gray. He's typing something on a handheld tablet.

"Evan you won't believe what I found."

"Uh huh. Just direct them to their division" Evan says, still looking at his tablet.

"No you don't understand, she's a full wizard! Her name is-"

Evan looks up immediately.
"Alex Russo." He says.

Caster looks confused. "Yeah how did you-"
"You IDIOT!" Evan shouts.

What is happening my head is a blur.

Caster is taken aback. And me, I'm still stuck in my head trying to figure out what the-

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHO SHE IS?? DON'T YOU EVER WATCH READ SEE  HEAR LITERALLY ANY SOURCE OF WIZARD NEWS?"

"I'm sorry I don't-"

"She's the GOLDEN GIRL of the WIZARD WORLD! She SAVED WizTech, defeated THE ANGELS OF DARKNESS, SHE'S BEEN WIZARD OF THE YEAR, even her BROTHER is the HEAD PROFFESOR'S APPRENTICE!!!" Evan shouts, angry.

Caster looks like he's about to pass out. He then turns to look at me. "Oh my god. You aren't a cast-out"

I am completely frozen, in shock and confusion. Shockfusion! I have no idea what to do or say.

Evan looks at me with a combination of hatred, anger, debating,... a hint of fear?

I get the feeling I'm no longer welcome here. But how the f**** would I even get out??? I guess I could just flash out but I couldn't just leave without knowing what's going on here. I don't even- what-

So I just stand there

So I just stand there. frozen.

Evan and Caster converse like I'm not even there.

"Did she tell anyone?"
"No. no noHer boyfriend's my roommate I would have known if he knew."
"Any other Wizard?"
"No I would have sensed it. Her roommate is human-"
"She could have told someone on the outside-"
"She didn't I'm sure of it."
Evan glares.
"We have to erase her."
"Just her memory right?"
Evan pauses.
"Fine. whatever. She was homeschooled so she probably knows nothing about us. She's a college girl now so she'll be preoccupied with her frivolous mortal problems. We'll just get rid of her now then, we don't want to draw any more attention."

Caster looks at me, apologetically. his lips subtly mouth I'm sorry

Then, an unrecognizable chanting from Evan. He looks directly into my eyes. His eyes turn a mesmerizing gold.

"Has antes no pues borarse antas, pues Donde pues Quien pues nada de has!"

All at once, it feels like my body is floating, my consciousness, dissolving.

A peaceful night ensues.

In the next chapters.... Harper asks Alex what happened that night. All Alex remembers is Caster just cancelling the meeting. Finding out the truth is crucial.... and learning what really goes on beneath and why it's shifting/clashing universes off balance.