- 8 -

It is the night of the Homecoming ball and Rosella and Ricky decided to go and with them their dear friend Big Red

It is the night of the Homecoming ball and Rosella and Ricky decided to go and with them their dear friend Big Red. It would be a good distraction for Ricky since his mother left to Chicago just a bit over a week ago.

"So my mom made this suit for you and if I'm not completely off with your measurements, it should fit just perfectly" Rosella tells the boy as the two stop in front of his house that afternoon, getting the clothing bag from the back of her car. "You and your mom shouldn't have" he says, not really knowing how to react. He's more than thankful, but a suit from Lucille Montez is really expensive, it's not something you normally wear to a high school ball.

"Just the best for the best, love" she smiles up to him, kissing him as he opens the door, letting the two in. What they see shocks them both. Everywhere lies something, the curtains are pulled shut and the air is used and smelly. The two look at each other before getting into the middle of the room, where Mr. Bowen lies on the couch.

"Dad, I'm concerned." "It smells like your bedroom, Rics" Rosella comments looking around, hanging the clothing bag over the staircase railing so she can pick up some leftover takeouts and whatnot. "Why aren't you at rehearsal?" "Why aren't you at work?", Ricky counters, walking towards the curtains to let some sunlight and fresh air in. "I'm taking a mental health day" Mr. Bowen tell his son. "That's the fifth one in a row. That's like a mental health week" the boy reminds his father.

"Mom's not coming back, dad, this is the way it is now, okay?" "No, not okay" the man grumbles, siting up while the girl is still picking up all the takeout boxes. "I don't like it either, but I really can't look at you like this." "You need to take a shower, Mike. Take a long warm shower, or even a bath, it helped me after I lost my dad" Rosella tells the man from the kitchen where she gets a garbage bag to throw all the trash in. "Yeah, and rejoin civilisation" her boyfriend adds. "I didn't see you putting yourself out there right after your breakup." "But now I did and we're going to Homecoming tonight." "That's great."

"Does this mean I need to make a dating profile?", Mr. Bowen asks after a moment, earning himself a laugh from the girl. "First, make your bed" Ricky comments chuckling himself. "But if you want, why not. It can't do any harm" Rosella grins at the man, happy to see him a bit more lively again. The teens finish cleaning the living room, while Mr. Bowen takes a shower. 

"Okay" Rosella begins to speak as the living room is clean again. "I'll go home and get ready." "I'll pick you up in three hours" Ricky reminds her, opening the door for her. "And not a minute later, I want a dance before they only play songs to which you can't slow-dance." "I promise" he smiles at her, leaning down to kiss her on the lips. "I'll see you later, angel" he bids her goodbye, kissing her again before she lefts.

The doorbell rings through Rosellas house as she walks through the hallways as fast as possible in the heels she's waring tonight. But her mother beats her to the door, opening it and letting the two boys in. "Hello Mrs. Montez, thank you for the suit" Ricky greets the woman who smiles softly at the two boys. "Hello Ricky. You're welcome but Rosie designed it, so you should really thank her" she tells the boy. "And you must be Big Red." "Yes, ma'am." "Lucille is fine, both of you."