“He cares about you. Don’t you want to be worthy of that?”

“If he cared he would take me as I am.” I hiss. “Tallulah didn’t care about you killing people like me everyday with the shit you’d sell them. She took you as you were. This is one man who tried to kill me, leave me like I was scum because he was scared for himself. He doesn’t deserve your pity.”

“M-Maggie.” Adam calls weakly.

Fisting my hand I hear him gasp as I spit at him to shut up. Gideon’s life came to me in flashes of images. Choppy and causing pain in my head but easy to put together like those large sized puzzle pieces with directions on the box. I recognized his life because it was so similar to the last few years of mine. Though while I was taking the drugs he was selling them, if I wanted to split hairs here it would be easy for me to say he’s the one in need of a self-worth check.

“Maggie!”

I turn towards the doorway of this wreck of a building to see Wyatt, Tallulah and Lila standing there. Lila pushes past Wyatt to get to Orin in the corner while Tallulah stays by Wyatt. Her eyes though, green and swirling with power, never leave me. As Wyatt inches forward Tallulah does as well and I see her attention start to shift to Gideon on the floor nearby.

“Come on, Maggie, let him go.” Wyatt pleads.

“Which one?” I ask, my tone dead.

“Uh…” he hesitates. “Well how about Gideon first?”

Keeping one hand on Adam I move my other hand back making Gideon’s trapped form move towards them. As soon as he’s at Tallulah’s feet she kneels down and starts breaking off his restraints. I move the hand controlling him back to my side as I turn my back on them all just to focus it all on Adam, who is slumped against my hold on him.

“Who is that?”

“Adam.” I snarl at Lila’s question. “My ex.”

“Ex?” Wyatt echoes flatly.

“Yes. I was just about to finish with him when thing one and thing two came in to ruin my fun time.”

“You can’t let the darkness feed, Maggie.” Orin snaps. “It’ll just spread in you and soon it’ll take over.”

“This isn’t about feeding.” I snap back at him. “This is about getting revenge. Do you even realize who he is? What he had me do? What I did for him only to have him throw it back in my face when he threw me away?”

“Your better than him, than this.” Orin tries again.

“No.” I whisper, turning my fist slowly. “I’m not.”

Adam’s neck snaps clean in half and at the sound of it I feel everything in me relax. I gave everything to Adam and though I tried to bury that rage in me the darkness inside seems to feed off it. Releasing my fist I stumble back a few steps as Adam’s body falls to the group with a thump. I feel the fire over my skin of Wyatt’s touch but I don’t look at him or respond to it. My eyes are solely on the ruined body of a man I once would have sold my soul for.

Now I have no soul worth giving.

“Maggie, look at me.”

I don’t obey Wyatt’s plea. My eyes won’t remove themselves from Adam’s body still, like they really want to be sure he’s dead, that he can’t hurt me anymore. His light is gone and his body is hollow, devoid of any life on the disgusting floor below him. A small part me thinks that this is something I’ll never be able to forgive myself for. A larger part of me feels nothing.

“Maggie.”

My head is turned abruptly and I blink once at the sight of twin whiskey brown eyes taking over my view. Concern so strong in them makes the numbness lift, just a little bit so I can feel the affection I have for the owner of those eyes. His hands are on either side of my face and with a long sigh he leans forward and kisses my forehead for a long time. When he pulls back I feel strangely groggy.