Part 33 - The Ending and The Beginning

Start from the beginning

"After that, follow the stream with the rest of the battle team and find Hyoga. Worst case-scenario, he's already killed both Tsukasa and... Senku, and will kill us all if it means he stays in power. Hyoga might be powerful, but if you and the rest of our team gangs up on Hyoga, he'll lose and we'll be able to imprison both him and Homura. We'll go from there," Y/n instructed, to which Ukyo nodded.

"That sounds like the best course of action," he said, gathering his bow and quiver. "And Y/n?"

"Yeah?"

"Stay strong," Ukyo gave her a little fist bump and a smile before standing up and running off to join the others. Y/n smiled, feeling a little more confident, before the overwhelming urge to cry came back. Mirai, who had been sitting a few feet away alone, looked at Y/n with wide eyes.

"Are you.. Some kind of leader here?" She asked, right before Y/n could let herself have a mental breakdown.

"Wh-What?!"

"I-I didn't mean to assume things! It's just, you looked very sure of yourself, and you came up with that plan like it was nothing!" Mirai exclaimed nervously, "So I thought you might be some kind of authority figure here..."

"...Oh. Well, unfortunately I'm not," Y/n smiled a little, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've been on the verge of sobbing my eyes out for too long, so I'm going to do that now."

And right as Mirai tried to offer comfort, Y/n followed through on her word, tears spilling from her eyes and choking on a sob. As a means of consolation, Mirai hugged her and patted her on the head, only to feel the same overwhelmed feeling as Y/n, and the two ended up comforting each other as they cried. Y/n, after a while, calmed down and wiped her eyes, feeling much more relieved.

"Heh... Y'know, I can see why Tsukasa wanted to revive you so badly.. You're a great little sister," she laughed, rubbing her eyes. Mirai giggled a little, despite everything. She gave Y/n a big hug, trying to keep herself from crying anymore now that Y/n had stopped.

"Do you have any siblings, Y/n?"

"Ah... Unfortunately not. I always wanted a little sister though," Y/n smiled, remembering when she was a small child, begging her parents over and over for a little sister to play with. Mirai smiled with her, letting go of her.

"Well... I can be your little sister, then! And Tsukasa can be your big brother," Mirai giggled. "We'll be a big, happy family then!"

Though both Y/n and Mirai knew the painful truth about Tsukasa's fate, Y/n kept up a cheery tone and patted Mirai on the head.

"Yeah, I'd like that," Y/n affirmed, then gave Mirai a look of surprise. "Wait, does this mean I can call you Imouto(little sister)?!"

"Yeah! And I'll call you Ane(big sister)!!"

"I love you already!" Y/n squealed, feeling a lot better for the time being. "Heh, that means Tsukasa is Ani(older brother). I miiight have to wait a while on that one."

"Oh? What happened between you two?"

"Oh, he just tried to murder Senku and was at war with him for a year or so," Y/n grinned, to which Mirai got a scolding look on her face.

"Seriously?! Oh, I am so going to lecture him when he gets back!" Despite her energy, there was a lining of sorrow to her tone. They both knew this lighthearted bonding was only to distract them from the fact that their loved ones could very well already be long gone.

If Tsukasa came back at all, he could've very well have bled out a long time ago. Y/n's wound wasn't nearly as severe, but it had still affected her stamina and endurance immensely. Mirai seemed to give up a little, her smile faltering.