I blinked at Karkaroff in disbelief. His harrowing gaze and sullen expression did not rattle me. I puffed up my chest ready to speak my mind, when Snape joined Karkaroff, looming right over me. I should've known Snape would spread his theories about me to anyone who would listen.

"Given your Sirius Black's crimes against the Potters, I wouldn't be surprised if you're trying to finish off the job and seriously injure Harry in your tournament," Snape hissed. "I'm sure you're working with that murderer- I suppose we should keep an eye on you and your 'safety' measures during the tournament for when you act on your husband's commands and try to end Potter's life-"

My concerns over Harry left my body as I stepped towards Karkaroff and Snape. Nearly a dozen eyes burned into my skull.

"Might I remind you all of my trial twelve years ago," I snarled, staring pointedly at my judge, Mr. Crouch. "I knew nothing of Sirius' betrayal, and I had the Potters' best interest in mind. Today, I am here to keep every student safe, particularly Harry Potter. I always served for the right side, and I continue to do so today. Which is much more than either of you can say. Unless you wish to rehash old allegiances, I suggest you both shut up."

Although my status as the wife of a murderer was well known internationally, not many people knew about Karkaroff and Snape's pasts as Death Eaters. The pair seemed to shrink in size as I icily stared at them. The four students in the room looked particularly baffled, but Dumbledore suddenly ended the tension with a final closing.

"The choosing of the champions is magical binding. Harry Potter is now the fourth Triwizard Tournament champion, and he will receive the instructions alongside the other three champions. Bartemius, if you will?"

Bagman started to speak with the champions, and I gave Harry a look to tell him that we would talk later. Dumbledore pulled me to the side, asking if I wanted to share a drink, but no one seemed to be in the mood. I forcefully shoved my way between Snape and Karkaroff and exited the room, anxious to relay the afternoon's events to Sirius.

<<>><<>><<>>

Once my hearing reappeared after receiving a particularly nasty Howler detailing just how thin of ice I was skating on, I made my way across the Hogwarts grounds in the drizzling November rain. The weather seemed to reflect my gloomy mood. I was one mishap away from losing my job, and I seemed to be one of the only people concerned for Harry's safety. When I told Sirius our godson was entered in the Triwizard Tournament, he seemed excited to watch him compete. He boasted that he knew the young wizard would easily win. I immediately told him he would not be watching the tournament, as I wouldn't let him risk being spotted, much to Sirius' dismay.

Nearly everyone seemed to be enjoying warm fireplaces inside the castle during the storm, but as I made my way across the grounds, I noticed three people heading my way. The trio approached, and I recognized Slytherin ties and their excited voices. Two of the boys sounded like they were praising the leader of their group while the leader held something peculiar in his hands. Through the rain, I could see something silver glimmer as he passed the item from palm to palm. The boy shook his long, black hair, tossing it out of his eyes, and didn't see me when I held my hands out to stop him from crashing.

"Oh, hi Mum!" Regulus yelped as he nearly ran into me. His hands immediately shifted behind his back. I could no longer see the glittering item. His two fellow Slytherins, Matthew Selwyn and Barry Pike, avoided my gaze, shuffling on their feet. I knew the three boys had to be up to trouble. 

"Odd weather to be outside, Reggy. What are you up to, my boy?" I asked sweetly. My eyes were directed at his hidden hands.

"Erm, we were just having fun down by the Black Lake. Trying to spot some mermaids," Regulus gulped. By the shifty look in his grey eyes, I knew Regulus was lying. His two friends anxiously avoided my gaze, but Regulus stood tall, seemingly proud of his dishonesty.