Chapter 16

<<<Alexandra Black>>>

"Focus on that memory, Cass! Bring those same feelings back, and pour them into the spell!"

"Expecto patronum!"

"Well done!"

"Did you see that one Sirius? I think I almost had it!"

I inhaled the sweet summer air and laced my hands around my morning cup of tea. The scene before me was a thing of beauty- Sirius and Cassie worked on the Patronus charm in the yard while Regulus flew around the garden on Buckbeak's back, his newest companion. My mailbox at the Ministry was constantly filled with Cassie's performing illegal magic reports and notifications of Hippogriff sitings at my address, but I loved the little bit of risk we had with Sirius around. And I loved watching our family grow closer and closer over our shared love of mischief.

"Sirius, love!" I called. "I think that's enough for today, Tonks will be here soon."

Sirius and my two children groaned at my order. Cassie attempted one last Patronus charm, sending a small amount of wispy, silver smoke in the air. As Regulus prepared to land with Buckbeak, he purposely dive-bombed Sirius before landing right in front of the shed. Sirius' barking laugh rang out across the yard, making me grin.

Sirius strode over to me and lovingly wrapped his arms around my waist. He looked like a different man even from the one I first saw in the Shrieking Shack. After a few months of good food, a warm place to sleep, and chasing around two lively kids, Sirius' regal and handsome appearance reappeared. He wore his black hair long, just the way he liked it, and even his new adoption of a neatly trimmed beard and mustache were starting to grow on me. With every day that passed, I seemed to find him more attractive. From the way my heart rate spiked whenever he touched me, sometimes it felt like he had never left. 

At the sound of a pop inside the house, Sirius gave me a quick kiss, which turned into a dog licking my face. Tonks had arrived, and she still had no clue about Sirius' innocence or his hiding in my home right under her nose.

When I arrived in the kitchen with Snuffles and Sirius greeting our guest, I admired Tonks' new appearance as she conversed excitedly with Remus Lupin. Today, the Metamorphmagus sported shining gold hair and matching, glittering, gold eyes. Her changed appearance complemented the new badge on her chest. Proudly, Tonks pointed to the accessory, reading the words 'DMLE Employee, Nymphadora Tonks: Auror.' 

"The new job title looks good on you, Tonks," I noted. Tonks puffed her chest out and she seemed to grow a little taller. "I heard you finally passed your Stealth and Tracking portion of your training!"

"I did, with flying colors! All thanks to your help!"

"It was my pleasure, anything to help a brilliant witch such as yourself."

Tonks blushed at my comment. 

"I have a few things for you, Lexi, as you requested."

From the her magically expanded pockets, Tonks first pulled out a jewelry box and a dinner plate. Then, with some difficulty, she pulled out a record player- the same curious record player Cassie received for Christmas. As I gently placed my returned diamond necklace and the record player on my suitcase, I took a greater interest in the dinner plate. It was not an interesting item by any means. Judging by the stains on the plate, it looked as if someone had messily eaten jelly toast on its plain surface. However, I was so thankful for the plate.

"Your gifts from Sirius... It was quite baffling, actually, I couldn't find anything wrong with them! It truthfully seemed as if he wanted to give you a nice present."