Chapter 7

<<<Remus Lupin>>>

"Hello?" a familiar and sweet voice spoke as I heard a knock at my office door. "Are you busy? Can I talk to you?"

"Of course, Cassie, come in," I invited. Cassie opened the door and slowly sat in the chair in front of my desk. She had a frown on her pretty face, and I could see the anxiousness in her eyes.

"Are you still concerned about your Boggart? I can assure you, it is normal! In fact, I think there was another third year who feared Sirius Black as well," I revealed.

We had been studying Boggarts in my class, and Cassie's ironically took the form of none other than Sirius Black. She had been too scared to face him herself, so I had stepped in and saved her before the Boggart put his hands around Cassie's throat.

"I didn't come here to talk to Professor Lupin," Cassie stated. "I came here to talk to Uncle Moony."

There was a beat, a sudden silence between us. I could only imagine what she wanted to talk about.

"Yes, my goddaughter?"

Cassie was tugging at a lock of her black hair. She had the same nervous habits Lexi did. Cassie took a deep breath and blurted out the words and the topic I had been avoiding for twelve years.

"Why didn't you tell me Mum dated Sirius Black?"

"Pardon?" I choked. "How did you-"

Cassie's grey eyes flashed with anger and disbelief.

"So she did date him! Why didn't anyone ever tell me?"

I was at a loss for words. Cassie was starting to advance on me, standing with her hands flat on my desk.

"People have always told me Mum was friends with him in school! That you were friends with him too! How could you keep this from me?"

I didn't deny it. Cassie slammed her hands on my desk again. The look in her eyes was a wild one. She resembled her father when he got mad. Her eyes captured the same murderous look Sirius had in his mugshot.

"And, imagine my surprise when I found out Mum was also engaged to Sirius Black!"

I felt like I'd been thrown into the Black Lake.

"Who told you?" I whispered. I'd never seen the young girl more angry.

"The Fat Lady, when I was repairing her painting! I'm sure she could tell me much more about Mum's Hogwarts days with Sirius Black! However, I hoped I would hear the truth from you. But at this point, I don't think I should trust a single word from you!"

I silently cursed. I knew the talented Cassie was employed to repair the painting after Sirius' attack. The professors should have known the Fat Lady had a huge mouth and would tell the young girl the secret her mother tried to cover up.

"The Fat Lady may be confused... Sirius and Regulus looked alike-" I stammered, searching for a way out of the conversation.

"Uncle Moony, when will the lies end?" Cassie roared. Ashamed, I looked at the back of my scar covered hands. "Does Harry know?"

"What?"

"Does Harry know his parents were friends with Sirius Black too? And that you were friends with him? That Sirius Black helped kill his parents? Merlin, did you help kill the Potters too?!"

I swallowed a lump in my throat. My skin prickled with uncomfortable sweat.

"Cassie, sit down," I commanded. "I must know, how did you find all this information?"