Chapter Eighteen: Watch Out

────────────────────────────
-'ˏ Margo's Pov ˎ'-

╭ ╮
Billy Hargrove's House
Friday , 6:30 a.m
╰ ╯

────────────────────────────

The footsteps got louder and louder until they finally stopped in front of the door.

It suffered a harsh bang as Neil knocked followed with a "William!".

Billy pushed me behind his large frame. Not to hide me, but protect me when Neil barged in angrily.

"Yes sir?" Billy meekly answered.

The conversation was interrupted by a lighter female voice who called out from farther down the hallway.

A creak in the floorboards coming from Neil shifting his weight was heard, causing Billy and I to flinch.

Neil grunted in response to her before he yelled "Take Maxine to school. Do not be late again son or there will be consequences.".

His footsteps finally faded away until the frontdoor slammed shut and the roar of his pickup truck speeding off rung out. Then it was dead silent. Even a pin drop could be heard as we stood still and waited for good measure.

Finally Billy turned around to face me.

"I'm sorry." He said while brushing my cheek lightly with his fingers.

I eagerly leaned into his outstretched hand.

"It's not your fault." I replied honestly.

He shrugged, clearly signaling that he didn't feel the same way, but stepped back and began to grab his stuff.

"School?"

"I want to go home and change and get my stuff." I told him while sitting cross legged on his bed.

He let out a short and terse laugh. "No."

"Yes."

"No. Because whatever happened was bad enough for you to leave and walk to my house crying."

"Please? I can't go to school looking like this."

He scanned over my outfit that consisted of his hoodie.

"You look very pretty as you are." He said sounding genuine.

"I'm going home." I told him flatly.

He muttered profanities but followed me into the hallway with his own backpack.

Standing at the front door was Max with her skateboard tucked under her arm. She looked anxious and then confused as she saw me.

Billy had disappeared to find his car keys leaving Max and I at the door.

"Well I like you more than anyone else he's brought home."