XIX

Tanjiro's face scrunched up in surprise and slight distaste. A violent sound suddenly attacked Y/n's ears, making him put a palm over his ear. There was a demon around, no doubt. It was disrupting the other, peaceful sounds emitting from the humans. That was surely the reason that Tanjiro's face had scrunched up as well, he must've smelled it.

"I have seen them..." the conductor gasped out. Rengoku abruptly stood up, his grin never leaving his face.

"Conductor! It's dangerous so please stand down!" the hashira instructed, revealing his katana. "It's an emergency, so I would prefer if you didn't ask me why I have a katana on me!"

Just as Y/n had predicted, a large demon made its way down the isle of the train. It snarled aggressively at the sight of the demon slayers. The boy wrapped his fingers around the hilt of his katana, ready to attack, but Rengoku was already prepared.

"Big guy!" Rengoku caught his attention. "Were you hiding your blood demon techniques? It was hard to find your presence! However, if you're baring your fangs at sinless people, the red flame sword of Rengoku will burn you down to the bone!" he declared, unsheathing his katana. He flew at the demon, hastily removing his head with a quick swipe of his bright red sword. The demon fell to the ground with a loud thud, blood splattering onto the enticed, even amazed watchers.

"That was incredible!" Tanjiro gushed. "That was such amazing swordsmanship! Make me your disciple!"

"Yeah! Such a clean cut!" Y/n exclaimed, stars in his eyes. "Please take me in as well!"

"Sure thing! I'll make you two into fine swordsmen!" Rengoku agreed, folding his arms in front of his chest, his grin widening.

"Me too!!" the blondie and the boar joined in.

"I'll look after every single one of you!!" the hashira agreed cheerfully. The group cheered gratefully, laughing and celebrating the fact that they finally had a mentor.

--

After the small celebration aboard the train, the group was worn out. They were finally all knocked out, sleeping peacefully as the gentle clatter of the wheels and rocking of the deck lulled them to sleep. Inosuke was sprawled over 2 seats, draping himself over Zenitsu who was on the verge of falling off. Rengoku was calmly laying against the seat. Tanjiro was in between him and Y/n, leaning against the said boys shoulder as he slept. Each were dreaming different, happy dreams.

Inside Zenitsu's head, he was in paradise, running through meadows with his beloved Nezuko and Y/n at his sides.

"Y/n! Nezuko! Here! The peaches here are delicious! And there's tons of white clovers blossoming here! I'll make you a flower crown! I can make 'em really well!"

"Yes please! Make me one!" Y/n chimed.

"Me too!" Nezuko giggled. 

"There's a river along the way, but its shallow... is that alright?" Zenitsu asked and slowed down.

"A river?" a pair of innocent, e/c orbs saddened as they gazed up at the blonde. "but... I cant swim..." he said quietly.

Zenitsu's face steamed red as a big, goofy grin plastered across his face. "I'll carry you and we can jump! I wont let you get wet! Leave it to me!" he promised and held his hand tighter.

Inosuke's dream, on the other hand, was far more barbaric and hectic.

"Boss! Boss!" Tanjiro, or better yet Ponjiro's voice called out.

"What's up minions 1 and 2?!" Inosuke barked.

"I can smell the master of the cave from over there, ponpoko!" Ponjiro explained.