Chapter 1

A rundown abandoned temple lies deep in the forest. The chirping of the birds and the rustle of the leaves created a soothing melody for one to hear. Right beside the temple a young maiden is humming a random tune, wringing some clothes that are yet to be hanged. She is so preoccupied she didn't notice the gentleman standing for a good fifteen minutes just a few feet away from her.

Just a year ago this maiden was near death's door but look at her now. Her smile is so bright one wouldn't know a horrible thing occurred to her in the past. He was standing there like a statue as he watched her gracefully do her work, at long last the maiden was done and finally turned her head. Eyes widening then turning into crescents, smiling from ear to ear.

"Welcome home, Shinsuke-kun"

Snapping from his dazed look he walked towards her and hugged her tight, it's his way of telling 'I'm home'. The beautiful maiden giggled and laid her head on his chest to feel his powerful heartbeat. She raised her head, blinking her (e/c) eyes unintentionally making her even more attractive

"Let's go inside, I made some onigiri, I also plucked some ripe fruits from the forest and they taste so sweet~" She beamed, taking his hand and leading him inside the shabby temple.

Once inside, Takasugi Shinsuke made himself comfortable placing his sword just beside him. He looked at the young lady that is busy preparing the food on the table that is already present in the temple. Takasugi Shinsuke can't take his eyes off her, the lady who stole his heart, the one he can see spending his life. He won't deny that he had fallen for her the first time he laid his eyes on her, despite it not being a pleasant one.

-

It was a fine day, when some of the Joui patriots were inside a little dango shop having a break. That is when he saw her amongst the crowded streets. She was like the moon shining brightly amidst the blanket of stars, her beauty was unparalleled despite her sickly frame, hollow cheeks and the dark sunken eyes. She was not at her greatest shape yet he still found her the most beautiful maiden he had ever seen.

By the time he was about to ask her name she was already out of sight. Takasugi Shinsuke stood up wanting to look for her among the crowd when suddenly he heard Katsura Kotarou calling his name. For three days the beautiful maiden never failed to invade his mind, he was always flooded with a ton of questions like 'would he see her again?','is she doing well?'.

A week has passed and Takasugi Shinsuke decided to roam around town, just to have a break from the annoying three idiots. He didn't know why, but ever since this morning he had this nagging feeling to walk around the town where he saw the beautiful maiden.

The skies were clear and Takasugi Shinsuke was quite enjoying the walk around the stalls, when his feet led him on towards the river. He was standing on the bridge looking at the pristine waters flowing on the river. It was quiet for there was no one in sight. Just then the clouds suddenly covered the skies as droplets of water came from them before pouring really hard.

The downpour was so strong that he was drenched in just a minute from standing under the rain. He turned around walking a few steps when suddenly he whipped his head back again. There at the riverbank he saw a fainted person, not just any person but rather the beautiful maiden he saw last week. His eyes were not deceiving him when he saw that striking tsubaki flower embroidered on her white kimono. That's her! He finally found her!

But who would have thought that the second time he would meet her it would be like this. A million thoughts raced on his mind as he ran towards the riverbank. By the time he was beside her the first thing that he saw was the deathly pale color on her beautiful face. He sucked a deep breath, feeling a tight knot forming on his chest as he carried her in his arms.