Amana sped toward them on a sleek, jet-black motorbike, tartan scarf billowing in the wind as she beckoned them to follow. They had followed Amana's windswept figure through the imposing castle gates and up the long, twisting drive through gardens that would house an abundance of flowers come spring. 

Now, Megan was stood in the castle's elegant entrance hall with Jenny. A vague sense of familiarity washed over her as the sunlight dripped through tall stained glass windows, painting a kaleidoscope of colour on the polished stone floor. It was like stepping into a memory; missing only the stern gazes of elderly National Trust workers at misbehaving children.

"It's just how I remember it," Megan murmured to herself. 

"You've been before?" Jenny asked curiously.

Megan nodded. "The last time was with my sister and our friend Laura, on a family holiday. The sound of the canon going off used to scare Hayley."

"Hayley...?"

"My sister," Megan explained. "Well, we're twins actually - but I'm older."

"Something tells me you never let her forget that," Jenny smiled.

Megan returned the smile, but tears sprang to the corner of her eyes. She turned away, pretending to study the portrait of a squat, ruddy-faced man with a handlebar moustache. She felt Jenny's hand squeeze her shoulder.

"I'm sorry," Jenny said quietly. "Is she...?"

Megan shook her head. "She was with us at the supermarket. I might think she's a nightmare at times, but she's feisty when she needs to be. She'll be fine; Laura too..."

"I'm sure they're both very worried about you." Jenny's eyes met Megan's. She looked away quickly, embarrassed. "Anyway, let's get you to the infirmary."

Megan followed Jenny through corridors and rooms, each as grand as the last. They passed through an extravagant library with a plush red carpet, where the gold lettering on the book spines winked in the light cast by a fire crackling in the fireplace. Even though she'd been before, Megan didn't know where to look first. She had always loved history, and here she was living it.

"This is my favourite shortcut," Jenny said, leading Megan though a secret door hidden behind a bookshelf. 

"This is incredible," Megan breathed. "I can't believe you live here."

"We're very lucky," Jenny agreed. "It's remote; secluded. We have really good visibility from the castle's bastions. You know, the - "

"Tallest parts of a castle," Megan finished. 

"Exactly. It's like a fairytale really; towers, turrets, dungeons..."

"Dungeons?"

"Oh, we don't use them," Jenny said quickly. "The infirmary is this way, come on."

Was it Megan's imagination or did Jenny try to steer the conversation away a little too quickly?

They reached a wooden door on the east side of the castle, and Jenny led Megan into a brightly lit parlour. There were camp beds set up around the room, piled with squashy sleeping bags and pillows. All were empty. A cabinet in the corner was crammed with green first aid kits, bandages and bottles of pills, all shapes and sizes. 

"This is the infirmary," Jenny said. "Make yourself comfy; I'll grab Levi and we can patch you up properly."

Megan sank onto the nearest camp bed. The warmth in the room made her yawn. She lay back on the sleeping bag and had barely touched her head to the pillow before falling blissfully to sleep.