Chapter 14 "Broken's Warning"

“It’s been a quarter turn of the moon cents Tigerstar and his dark forest cats attacked us at the gathering. I’ve been keeping myself busy with things that need to be done around camp. Tending to the elders and checking up in the queens and kits. I’ve even gone so far as to ask my mentors for any jobs that needed to be done around camp or out of camp. Well, today they have told me that I just need to stay in camp and relax for a bit. I can tell why. Mossypaw, Streampaw, Rushpaw, Troutpaw, Hollowpaw, and Pebblepaw are all getting their warrior names today. With this in mind, I can’t help but wander how I will get my name. I’m not just a warrior am also a medicine cat. So how will I receive my name? Will it be at the moon pool or by Mistystar? Or will Starclan just give it to me? All that and more was racing through my head as I walked to the elders den with a fish in my mouth for them. It was Pouncetail that had noticed that something was bothering me and like always, he asked me what it was.”

Good morning Featherpaw. It’s such a sunny day out, yet I see rain clouds hanging around you. Almost as if the sunny isn’t shining for you today. Want to tell old Pouncetail what’s bothering you?

(sigh) A lot of things are bothering me.

Like what, little one?

The fight we had with Tigerstar and the dark forest cats, why Brokenstar wants so badly to keep me safe from him and Hawkfrost, and.....

Go on.

And how I’m going to receive my final name. I mean I’m a warrior and a medicine cat. Warriors are given their warrior name by the leader of the clan, but medicine cats receive their names at the moon pool. (sigh) I just don’t know what to think right now, or how everything that’s going on, or has happened all fits together. Pouncetail I feel lost. “I stared at the floor of the elders den. Pouncetail swished his tail and had me look up at him. He was smiling and the look in his eyes told me that everything was going to be alright.”

I know that you feel lost right now Featherpaw, but trust me when I tell you this. Every thing that happens in our lives happens for a reason. Whatever that reason maybe, we will never know till it shows it’s self to us. We can’t stop the seasons from changing, nor can we stop those that care about us from wanting to keep us safe. In the end, everything will turn out alright. Trust me on that, little Featherpaw.

“I smiled at him and nodded. Just as I was about to say something back to Pouncetail, Mistystar called us all together. It was time for my friends to become warriors. I smiled and leaped up from where I was sitting and bounced out of the elders den to watch. I found a spot and sat down. Pouncetail and Dapplenose came and sat down beside me. Pebblepaw had spotted me out of the corner of his eyes and nudged Streampaw then pointed with is tail at me. I smiled at them and they smiled back. Then Mistystar spoke up and everyone was quit as Mistystar called each of the apprentices up to receive their warrior names. My heart raced for my friends and I could tell that their eyes were shining with excitement and I couldn’t help, but feel as if I should be worried about something. I shook myself and waited to hear what my friends warrior names would be.”

Mossypaw step forward. (Mossypaw stepped forward. She held her head up high and showed that she was proud to be a warrior of Riverclan.) Mossypaw from her on you will be know as MossyFur.

“Everyone started chanting MossyFur. We said her name three times then MossyFur joined the rest of us on the side so that the rest of our clanmates could step up and receive their warrior name.”

Streampaw step forward. “My heart sank for a moment as Streampaw made his way to the center of everyone. I kept my eyes on him. He held his head high and his eyes sparkled like stars in the morning’s light. I listened for Mistystar to speak his name, only I didn’t catch it. Not even when everyone had started chanting it. For some reason I couldn’t take my eyes off of Streampaw, even as he walked over to me, and sat down. I kept my eyes on him and a flash of light sent me to the dark forest where I saw a battle going in full force and Streampaw laying at my paws stone cold dead. My eyes widen and I was nudged out of the vision and back to the clan and everyone around me. Streampaw was staring at me, curserned in his bright blue eyes. I looked to the center. Pebblepaw was up now and he was the last one to get his warrior name. I signed and listened to what his name was going to be.”