Chapter 3 "Desisting"

*Hmm. Morning already. Wander what Streampaw is up to.* 

Snore*

*Hmm? Oh, its Pebblekit. Better wake him, before he sleeps the day way.* Come on Pebblekit. It’s time to get up.

Hmm. I don’t want to get up Featherkit. Can’t I sleep for a bit longer?

No silly. We have to get up and get ready.

Ready for what?

I don’t know, but I do know that it’s going to be great! So come on, get up, before I push you out of the nest.

Ahh. Alright. Do you think there is any fresh kill left?

There’s should be. And if not, the hunting patrol will have brought some back, by now. So come on. Let’s go get something to eat and then see what’s going on around camp. I wander if we’ll run into Streampaw?

Who knows. Then again, he’s been in camp a lot lately.

I know. I wander if that’s my fault.

How could that be your fault, Featherkit?

Let’s just say that Starclan played a role in it as well and leave it at that.

Sounds good to me and what looks even better is that fish on top of the pile. Race you to the fresh kill pile.

Your on.

I win Featherkit.

So you do Pebblekit. Anyhow, I’m going to take some fresh kill to the elders and then to the medicine cats.

You do that. I’ll wait till you get back.

You don’t have to Pebblekit. Besides, I want to talk to Mothwing about something.

Are you sure.

Yes I’m sure. Thanks though.

No problem. See you later Featherkit.

Later Pebblekit. Now let’s get this fish to the elders. 

Why don’t you let me do that and you take one to Mothwing and Willowshine.

Huh?! Oh, Streampaw it’s you.

Yap. I’ll take the fish to the elders for you. You take that one to the medicine cats, k?

Ok. Thanks Streampaw.

Your welcome Featherkit. Oh and Featherkit?

Yes Streamkit?

What are you going to do?

Do? About what Streampaw?

About becoming a medicine cat. I heard Mistystar asking Willowshine if she would be your mentor. I was just wandering if that is what you wanted to be?

(My eyes got wide at what Streampaw had just told me. I shook my head and answered the best way I could.) I don’t know what I want to be Streampaw. All I know is that I want to help our clan. That doesn’t mean that I want to me a medicine cat. 

Well you better tell that to Mistystar. Cause she thinks you do. Anyhow, we’ll talk more about it later. I’ll go take this fish to the elders before they get cranky. 

Alright Streampaw. See you later.

Later Featherkit. I hope everything works out for you.

Me too. Me too. *I take the fish I was carrying to Mothwing and Willowshine. Who both can see that something is bothering me.*

What is wrong Featherkit?

You know you can tell Willowshine and me anything.

(Looks up at them both, then sits the fish down in front of them.)

Thanks for the fish Featherkit, but what is the matter?

I don’t know if I want to be a medicine cat.

(Both Mothwing and Willowshine got wide eyed)

I just don’t know.

We can understand that, little one.

When you know what you want, the three of us will go to Mistystar and let her know what it is you wish, Featherkit. Alright?

Alright. Thanks you both for understanding.

Your welcome. Now run along and play for a bit.

K, bye Mothwing, Willowshine.

Good-bye Featherkit. 

See you around camp. 

Yap. Don’t get hurt.

I won’t and I’ll make sure no one else gets hurt as well.

Good. Less work for us then.

*What do I want to be to the clan? I’m not sure and I only have till the full moon to decided on what it is I wish to be. I have a lot of thinking to do and so little time to do it.*

Mistystar?

Yes Featherkit, what is it?

Can I go sit by the river? I have a lot to think about and I think better by the river.

Sure, I’ll go with you. I need to clear my head as well. 

*We walked to the river. Mistystar started catching fish and I sat down and watched her. All the while I was think what I would be best as, a medicine cat or a warrior? Mistystar must have know what I was thinking cause she asked me a question I didn’t have an answer to.*

Have you decided?

Mhm? Oh no, not yet. I’m still trying to figure that out. I know I’d be great as a medicine cat, but medicine cats can’t have kits and that’s something I was looking forward to.

I see. Whatever you decide, we will go with.

Isn’t there away for me to be a medicine cat and a warrior?

That I don’t know. Maybe Starclan will help you find an answer tonight.

Maybe. *We walked back. I didn’t eat anything that day, but I dreamed the most strangest thing. I dreamed that I was a medicine cat and a warrior. Next thing I know Graypool was sitting beside me.*

You walk the path of both. A medicine cat and a warrior. You have to become both and I will tell this to Mistystar, Mothwing, and Willowshine. As well as the warrior cat that is to train you. I wish you the best of luck Featherkit and I will be right here to help guide you every step of the way.

Thanks you Graypool. I won’t let you or the clan down. That I promise.

I know you won’t let us down little one. For we have seen it. Now sleep well Featherkit. Sleep well.

*Sleep well I did. I slept the whole night away and in the morning Mistystar came to speak with me.*

Featherkit, may I speak with you?

Yes Mistystar. I’ll be back in a bit Pebblekit.

Ok, no need to hurry Featherkit. Take your time.

What is it Mistystar? Did Graypool visit you latest night?

Yes she did. She also visited Mothwing, Willowshine, and Mintfur. She told us that you are to be trained as both a medicine cat and a warrior. Is that what you want?

Yes. Yes that is what I want. Can we do that though?

Starclan has said that we can, so we will. My only question is, are you sure you can handle the training of both a warrior and a medicine cat?

Yes I can handle it. I will not give up even if things get tuff.

Well then, I say it’s time, that we got two new apprentices. What do you think Featherkit?

I think its about time.

Well then, tomorrow we will have the change of names tomorrow and have two new apprentices in the clan. For now thought, you and Pebblekit can enjoy your last day as kits.

We will Mistystar and I won’t let you, Starclan, or Riverclan down. I promise. 

I know you won’t let us down. You never have and never will.