Chapter six Pitch Black

Start from the beginning

"Come on. It's cold." I jumped up and down to get the blood flowing. A car approached blinding me with its headlights. I closed my eyes and block its rays. It passed, and I blinked a couple time to adjust my sight. 

"Alright Demon. It's been lon-" I look back to where he was to find nothing there. "Demon." I parted the long grasses and walked along the fence. "Demon," I called. "Stupid dog where'd you go."

I heard a soft bark coming from the other side of the fence. Going back to where I had lost him, I found a hole in the wooden panel big enough for him to slipped through. "Demon!" I yelled through the opening. "Get back here now!" I could see his little beady eyes staring at me. 

He yapped at me before turning and walking off.

"Stupid mutt! I hope a cow steps on you." Kneeling there, I thought about going home, but I rather not see my mother cry about me losing her pet. I ground my teeth together and stood. The fence was built higher than normal to keep the deer out. I found a rock I could stand on and weaseled myself over. It wasn't too graceful of a dismount, but I did it.

"Demon, where are you?" I spotted the little monster standing in the middle of the field. Thankfully the moon was bright, or I never would have been about to see him.

I started walking toward him when a group of cows started to jogged to the other side of the field. "Demon get over here before you get squished." I hurried over to him. The thing was smart enough not to run away from me at least. "You dumb dog." I knelt down to grabbed him. But before I could get a good grip, he took off for the fence, whining like I had hurt him. 

"Demon! I barely touched you." I hit the ground and muttered a few choice words. "I'm going to kill that do-" My body froze as I look up to a pair of deep brown eyes. I couldn't breathe as fear coursed through me.

The black creature crept toward me, never breaking its gaze. Somehow, I managed to get my legs to start working and cautiously rose to my feet. Holding out my hands in front of me, I slowly backup. It growled at me, pulling its lips back into a snarl. 

On the verge of bursting into tears, I searched the area around me for something I could defend myself with. "I hate dogs," I whimpered. "I never should've came out here." My heart stopped when two more raced past toward the cattle. The one stalking me turned its head for a split second, and I took this as my chance to run. Turning on my heels, I raced for the fence. 

I could hear its paws pounding the ground behind me. With the border approaching, I skidded to a stop and collided with the wooden panels. I frantically search for a broken board or something that could help me reach the top of the fence. The sound of grass rustling caused me to drop to the ground and curl up in a ball. The black beast just stood there, watching me. Tears were streaming down my face. The wolf like creature paced around me with its head rocking from side to side. 

"Go away," I begged. "Leave me alone." A panel moved when I pressed against it. I rammed my body into the wooden board, and it gave away. Flipping on my side, I squeezed through. My feet barely made it before the wolf creature appeared and started digging. I kicked the board back into place and ran for home. Adrenaline pumping, I tore down the street and threw open the front door. 

"Aden," snapped my mother, who was sitting in the living room. "Was that really necessary?"

I slammed the door closed and slid the dead bolt into place. 

"Aden, what's wrong, and where's Demon?" She put down her book.

I rested my head on the door and tried to slow down my pounding heart. 

"Aden," said a deep voice.

Two hands grabbed me, and I bit my lip to stop from screaming. 

My father turned me to face him. "Aden, what happened?"

"There's this thing in the Anderson's pasture!" I breathed.

"Calm down, Aden," said my dad. "What kind of thing?"

"I don't know." I gasped for air. "It looked like a dog, but it was huge," I stated, looking up at him. "And black."

My mother felt my forehead. "I think you've had a bit of a traumatic day and your mind's playing tricks on you."

Scratching noises came from the door. My dad went to open it, but I laid my body flat across it.

"Don't open it! That thing could have followed me home."

"Aden, that's enough." He grabbed me and moved me to the side. I hovered around the corner and watched as he unlocked the door. 

It swung open, and little Demon trotted into the house.

"Demon!" said my mother relieved. She picked him up and kissed his head. 

My father looked back at me. "Did he scare you?"

I gave him a repulsed expression. "This thing was a hundred times the size of that stupid dog."

"It is dark, Aden," said my mother, bouncing Demon in her arms. "Your imagination could have gotten the better of you."

"I know what I saw," I snapped.

"It could have been a cow," suggested my father, walking back to the living room with my mother.

"It growled," I retorted. I stood in the entryway and glared at them. "I know what I saw."

"Aden, I think you've had a long day," said my mother. She set the dog on the ground and took me in her arms. "Maybe you should go to bed. I'm think it might had been more than just motion sickness." She felt my forehead again.

I took a deep breath and slowly released. "I guess, you could be right."

She kissed my cheek. "Good night."

"Good night." I turned for the stairs and dragged my tired body to my room. Going to the window, I checked the lock. Even though I was on the second floor, I rather be safe. After changing into sweats, I slipped into the bed and tried to forget what I had seen.