Chapter four The Wonders of Mother Nature

Chapter four

The Wonders of Mother Nature

I was going to be sick. This stupid job was going to kill me on the first day.

"It's not so bad once we get past these potholes!" yelled my dad over the rattling of the truck. "Probably should tell someone to come out and fix them."

I didn't dare reply, because more than words might come out of my mouth. My hand was pressed to the ceiling while the other gripped the door handle just trying to keep me somewhat stable. 

"I guess we should have remember your medicine," my father chuckled. "Forgot that this road was in pretty bad shape." The truck slammed into a hug hole, and I was thrown into the dashboard, right into my stomach. My hand went for my mouth, and my dad slammed on the brakes. Kicking the door open, I dove out of the vehicle and vomited on the ground. I was gasping for air as I sat surrounded by breakfast. 

"Well you made it farther than I expected." My dad appeared at my side with a bottle of water.

I snatched it from him and twisted off the lid. My mother's cooking did not taste that good the second time around. I washed out my mouth and slowly got to my feet. My stomach was still felt a little unsettled. Today was not off to a good start.

"Well at least you feel better now." He slapped me on the back. 

I wiped my mouth with my jacket sleeve. "You wonder why I hate camping." I took a drink of water. "I get sick every time, because of these stupid roads."

"I'll call you mom and tell her to meet me at the junction with your car sickness meds."

"You couldn't have thought of that sooner," I muttered. "I thought this was at a camp ground. Not the back woods, on some beaten up old road."

My dad just smiled. "It isn't that bad. I know a quite a few worse than this one. We just need someone to come throw some dirt on it. Winter just roughed it up a bit." He walked around to his side of the truck. "Come on let's go."

"I'm not getting back in there. That thing is a death trap." I took another drink from the water bottle.

"We're building character. One day you're going to look back at this moment and laugh."

"Well that's not today," I muttered. "I'll walk. There's less chanced of me puking again."

My dad stood up on the foot railing and looked over the truck. "You sure. It's still aways."

"I'm not getting back in there." I wrapped an arm around my stomach. 

"Alright, stay on the road. Watch out for cars and ATV. Some of these kid shouldn't be allowed to drive those things. You're going to go around that bend up there, and you'll see a lake. There are a couple of paths that cut down by the shoreline to the campground. Alright?"

I nodded. "I'll hurry."

"Okay. But I mean it. Don't be wondering off and getting lost."

"I'm not five dad. I think I can handle it."

"Still," he breathed. "Be careful."

"Dad, I'm fine. Just go."

"Alright." He got in the truck and with a wave, started down the road. 

I watched for a minute as his head bounced around and felt my stomach turn. There was not a doubt in my mind, I would've thrown up again. I just wasn't cut out for this off road business. 

Finishing off my water bottle, I started down the road. It had rained recently and all the potholes were filled with muddy water. At least there wasn't any dust.