Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Wayne Rigsby

Cho and I have been separated into two different rooms next door to each other. In each there's a cranky old bed which has accompanied far too many paid make out sessions. And a window, like the one we had climbed through, is on a wall to the right. The sheets on the bed look like some sort of faded animal print due to rather disgusting stains.

This is cheap, desperate sex.

I had been... Greeted... By a woman called Jesi. She had practically thrown herself at me and swallowed me whole with her big, disturbing mouth. Can't imagine the stuff that has passed these lips. She wore a ruby red dress along with gold coloured heels and scarlet lipstick. Close to what the victim was wearing. In fact very similar.

I try to imagine how Cho must be dealing with all of this. Not very well I expect... Jesi is now stood in front of me in this skimpy little black leotard which happens to be too see through for my liking.

God... How I'd love to see Grace in this...

My attention however gets pulled out of my head and back into reality as she starts to undress me. I pull back knowing this is going way too far, in my ear I can vaguely hear Lisbon and Jane talking about food and Cho's muffled voice, too blurry to understand. I need to keep up the act for just a few minutes more while he gets the information out of Kloë. She's definitely going to be arrested tonight.

I take my jacket off as slowly as possible as she starts to feel herself up... Completely normal. I then take advantage of having laced shoes and make it seem as though the laces are tangled.

*BANG*

The wall makes a vibrating sound as something, or someone, is thrown against it.

'Come on lover... We need to get busy. She's nearly finished him next door... They'll be on round two in a minute...' Jesi tells me. Her voice full of lust as she trails a finger over my shoulders.

'Uh, Rigsby, ask her if you could have Laura Collins. See her reaction.'Jane says into my ear.

'Sorry ma'am- Jesi. Could I see your colleague Laura? Laura Collins.'

Her face drops and she glares at me.

'Why. Do you want. Her?' She sounds completely and utterly disgusted.

'Well, my friend recommended her. Said she was worth the money and the best experience. That's what I'm looking for. So if you don't mind I'd like to give her a try,' I say trying to control my breathing rate which is rapidly getting faster.

'Mmm... Yeah, little over the top,' Jane mumbles.

'I'm afraid I can't do that.' She says smugly.

'Why not?'

'She hasn't been in for ages.'

'How long? Why?' I ask.

'For about a week. I dunno, why does it matter? Now are you going to strip or shall I do it for you?'

'Done,' Cho's voice rings through the ear piece.

'Okay, bring her out.' Lisbon orders.

I walk towards the door and turn around to face Jesi.

'It's been a blast. But gotta go,' I say and flash her my cop badge then run out and towards the illuminated 'exit' signs. I follow them down corridors then find a door and jog down the alleyway and back to the car.

I fly into the cream leather passenger seat and turn to face the two of them in the back. Jane's asleep, his head resting against the blacked out window. And Lisbon is sat there on the phone. She dials off and looks at me.

'So...? How did it go?' She says sarcastically.

'Don't even ask... Oh... I've forgotten my jacket.'

'Don't worry, we got it from a charity shop for a dollar. Cho's coming now. She's gonna have to sit in the back with us.' There's a look of disgust wash over her face and she prods Jane. 'Wake up.' He shoos her away and opens his eyes. He sees me before him and he sits up suddenly alert.

'Ah! Rigsby! How was her reaction?'

'Um... She seemed oblivious to her death and disgusted at the thought of her.'

'Hmmm... Interesting. No... Guilt?'

I shake my head.

'Hmmm...' He repeats again. Suddenly the door opens on Lisbon's side and a dodgy looking Kloë is stood there, her mascara smudged. She has her hands behind her back in handcuffs.

'Sit up Jane,' Lisbon moans. He does as he's told, then she shuffles into the middle seat. I can't help but smirk as she gets as close to him as possible trying to get as far away from Kloë as she can. Cho ducks Kloë's head and slams the door shut then climbs into the drivers seat. He starts the engine, then drives off.

It's about nine o'clock by the time we wrap up and head off. I climb eagerly into my car wanting to be the first to get to the hospital so I have a few minutes alone with Grace. I pull up and jog into the hospital and in the direction of her room. I know this route almost as well as I know the back of my hand. I glide through the doors to be greeted by the doctor.

'Good evening sir.'

'Uh. Yes, hello.' I reply.

'We have managed to set a time for the process to start. But knowing the time she'll wake up is practically impossible to know.' He takes a breather. 'We've been studying her carefully and she's stabilised well. Her heart rate is normal, along with everything else. We've kept her on oxygen for now but we hope to remove it within the next forty eight hours.'

'When will you wake her up?' I urge.

'Tomorrow. Then, we'll start the process at lunchtime, twelve o'clock.' Next thing you know Jane is stumbling through the door. He looks around and sees me and his face sort of drops a bit, he then sees there's no sign of Lisbon and his cheery smile is regained. I'm glad I wasn't the only one having a race to see who gets here first.

'Evening Doc,' Jane says. The doctor smiles at him and then walks out of the room. 'Um... Excuse me! Doc!' He calls after him, raising a finger. The doctor turns around and looks at him as if he has better places to be.

'Yes?'

'Why did Grace's heart rate escalate the other day?'

The doctor considers this for a moment.

'Her lungs needed oxygen. But she was too weak to get it.'

'Are you sure?' Jane tests his patience.

'Excuse me sir, but are you testing my knowledge on my profession?'

Jane tilts his head from side to side as if weighing out the options.

'You could put it like that. I just... Didn't think it seemed right. Unnatural if you like.'

'Mister...?'

'Jane.'

'Mister Jane. I'll have you know that I have been doing my job for sixteen years. I trained for nine and I have saved lives by knowing it. If you feel the need to question my ability and knowledge then please, make an appointment. But at the moment I have other patients to attend to and other places I'd rather be,' the doctor clamps his teeth together as he says the last bit trying to make it clear to Jane not to ask any further questions. The doctor turns on his heels and walks down the corridor.

'Well he seemed like a nice guy,' Jane jokes.

I shake my head and tut. That's when Lisbon walks through the door. And shakes her head.

Okay, so getting here was one big race for all of us.