Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Grace Van Pelt

Jane and I arrive at the office, after going back to Laura Collins' house, within about fifteen minutes. We don't say a lot to each other on the journey but when we are walking out of the elevator and towards the office he breaks the silence.

"Would you like a coffee? Or tea?" He asks me.

"A coffee would be nice," I smile at him to show my gratitude.

"Okay. I'm guessing you like it black?" I'm used to his quirky ways and just go along as if knowing what coffee I prefer is a normal way of life.

"Go and take a seat and I'll bring it through in a minute," he smiles his pearly smile and I walk back to my desk. I turn my computer on and continue with the research I was doing before he called.

It's only him and I in the office. It seems so quiet. He brings my coffee in and places it on my desk. I take a sip and it's just how I like it.

"Thank you," I say.

"You're very welcome... Can I ask you something?"

"I guess..."

"Why are you so kind? You never seem to be unhappy. How is that?"

"I get along. Things are normally easier if your happy," is my reply.

"But not necessarily fun," he states.

"I suppose not. I don't really have anything to be sad about."

"But you have something to be happy about?"

I nod and shut my mouth and get back to work as Cho and Wayne walk into the office. I can feel Wayne watching me but I keep focused on the computer screen.

"Nice talking to you Grace," Jane says. We share a smile and he sits on his couch with a cup of tea and a saucer.

When I know Wayne's eyes are off me I look up briefly from my computer screen. Cho is sat busily studying his new finds and Wayne is sat there throwing pieces of eraser into the bin opposite him. I twist in my chair slightly and see Jane staring blankly into space. Just thinking. When he sees me watching however, he flashes me a smile and starts to read his book. When I turn back around Wayne has moved his chair next to my desk.

"What have you got on the Collins case?" He asks. We share a look that no one else sees and I glance back at my files on the murder.

"It more than likely occurred in the early hours of last night and the body was found by the cleaner at nine o'clock this morning. She got stabbed to death and there's a slit in the throat. There was no one in the house at the time. And that's about it. I'm waiting for Lisbon to come back to me with more news hopefully." I scan the file incase I'd missed anything.

"This looks cozy!" Jane says bringing a chair behind me. "How's your coffee?" He asks.

"Nice," I say hoping Jane doesn't pick up on the 'sexual tension' in the air.

"Good. Rigsby!" Jane looks at Wayne as though he'd only just noticed him sat there. Wayne gives me a worried look then turns back to him.

"Yes?" He says.

"What did you get?"

"Not much. Most neighbours were in shock and didn't say a lot," Wayne tells him.

He gives me a look and Jane sees.

"So things are back on between you two?" He asks. Wayne and I stay silent. "I'll keep it secret if you do," he whispers to us, giving me a wink.

"Really? I thought cause of you and Lisbon..." Wayne trails off.

"What's 'me and Lisbon'?" Jane asks curiously.

"Well... You both seem to be really good friends..." He stumbles over a few words.

"Thank you Jane..." I say, covering for Wayne.

All three of us jump when Lisbon's voice rings throughout the office.

"We have a bit more information on the Collins case. She only worked four days a week at the salon and apparently went out every Friday and Saturday night. No one seems to know where but she would return either the next day or in the early hours of the morning," she says to us all.

"We could ask the cleaner? She's bound to know when Laura gets in," I contribute.

"Yes, Van Pelt, you and Rigsby go back to her house and see if you can get in contact with the cleaner. Cho can you stay here and see whether you can get anything else and Jane and I will talk to fellow workers of Laura."

Wayne and I raise our eyebrows to Jane, just to show him what Wayne had meant before. He brushes it off and rises to his feet.

"Not that Jenna girl again though?! Please!" He begs Lisbon.

"No, we're going to see Patricia Long and Charlotte Green," her voice going quiet at Charlotte's name.

"Charlotte?" Jane asks.

"Charlotte Green, yes," Lisbon replies softly.

"Well I shall see you two later," he gives Wayne and I a wink. We both exchange a look and a smile as he walks off next to Lisbon.