Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Teresa Lisbon

We have closed the case. It was based on money like forty percent of other murders, but also about self respect. Genevieve Collins, the mother of the victim, killed her. But I guess without mad people like her we wouldn't have our jobs, still doesn't make it right though. The team are all together again even if Van Pelt is only here for a visit, so we decided to order pizza. When it comes we all sit around the large table at the end of the bullpen. Cho, Van Pelt and Rigsby seem quite happy chatting and eating, whilst Jane and I are sat minding our own business. He turns to me after a bit and starts conversation.

'Another case is solved.'

'Yep. Thanks to you,' I smile at him.

'It's not all down to me... Cho helped as well,' he jokes. He's just messing with me. 'No, you did well yourself. But tell me, did you have any clue it was Genevieve?'

I think about this.

'I was getting suspicious. I had narrowed it down to two people in my head.'

'Who were they?'

'Kloë and Genevieve.'

'Really? You're not just saying that?'

'No. I really did. We ruled out suicide a long time ago. It couldn't have been Patricia, she was too soft. And it couldn't have been Jack or James...'

'Very clever how they covered their tracks by acting as if they hated each other.'

'Kloë and Genevieve? Yeah. I guess.'

'We're going. I'll see you tomorrow,' Cho says.

'Okay, bye.' We all chorus to one another. Cho, Rigsby and Van Pelt start walking towards the elevator.

'Oh I almost forgot.' Jane gets up. 'Stay here I'll be right back.' He walks off to the kitchenette and comes back holding something.

'What is it?' I ask as he gets closer.

'Your book.' He holds it out to me. 'I borrowed it, remember?'

I take it.

'Yes I remember... Did you... Enjoy it?' I'm not sure whether to ask this or not. I'm slightly worried about what the outcome will be.

'Oh, I don't know. I didn't read it.'

'Okay...' I breathe a sigh of relief. If he had enjoyed it I'd have been a bit scared as it's a woman's book after all.

'I leant it to Van Pelt whilst she was in hospital. She was going to be bored out of her mind otherwise.'

'Oh right. Did she like it?'

'I believe so.'

'I think I'm going to head off now.'

'Okay. I'll see you tomorrow?'

'Sure.' I turn to leave.

'Hey. Don't forget the yoga,' he does the tree position and nearly falls over.

'Yeah, that's why I don't do it.'

He recovers and brushes himself down.

'Right.' He straightens his suit jacket.

I roll my eyes and grab my briefcase.

'See you tomorrow.' I walk down the corridor and press the elevator button. When it arrives I step inside and turn around to face the doors.

I lie in bed and create a list involving things that I need to remember and do. Once I believe I've written all I can think of, I put the piece of paper in my top drawer and lie down. I allow my head to sink into the pillow and my thoughts to wander. I feel my eyelids become heavy and then my eyelashes meet. I drift into a peaceful sleep not to be woken until the next morning. The best night's sleep I've had in the last year.

Thank you Patrick Jane.