Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Patrick Jane

I made sure Lisbon sent Rigsby to the hospital with our rookie. I could see how he needed to be with her. However, I also made sure Lisbon didn't suspect them by telling her different reasons as to why none of us could go with Grace but Rigsby could. I'm good at manipulating and Lisbon's good at being gullible, so it was easy really.

We all stand back as the ambulance sirens start up and it speeds along the road flying past us. It's only now that I realise I am praying Van Pelt comes back safe and that there's no lasting damage. Lisbon comes up next to me her hands in her trouser pockets. The wind becoming increasingly stronger and blowing our clothes and hair. I decide to put my hands in my suit jacket pockets to keep them as warm as possible. I'm still stood looking after the path that the ambulance had taken. The sound of the siren had faded into the distance along with the heat of the sun. The few people that were watching the chaos had disappeared back into their houses to continue with their lives. A gust of wind whips past us. It's brisk out, considering the time of the day, late afternoon, when it's normally at it's warmer temperatures.

'She'll be okay... She's a fighter,' Lisbon says next to me.

'Yes... She'll be fine,' I reply.

'You two are close aren't you?'

'Meh...we're friends, co-workers,'I tell her. It's the truth. Grace and I are friends and are both passionate about our work.

'Damn it! Why's it so cold?' She says jumping up and down on her toes a bit. With me not giving a reply she goes back to the subject that she thinks I want to talk about. 'How did it happen?' She asks.

'It was that idiot, Jack. Refusing to be arrested for the usage of drugs.'

'Drugs?!' Lisbon says surprised.

'He was going to put them in our tea. We were sat interviewing Mrs Collins and we all heard a crash, like a cup or mug dropping. I then vaguely heard people arguing. I think Grace heard the men fighting,' I explain.

'Men?'

'Cho and Jack. So she went out to see what was happening and by luck Jack was running past so she pounced. Took both of them down. She handcuffed him. He escaped, he ran, she ran, he fell and bingo,' I finish.

'She tripped over him?' She asks not seeming convinced that such a small accident could cause such a big injury.

'She skidded about ten foot I'd say. Roughly... A long distance anyway for a fall.'

'And what did you do?' She asks further.

'Well, I went straight to her, she was lying too still for my liking. She had gone head first...I wasn't sure what state she was in. I then got Mrs Collins to phone for an ambulance, and then I called you.'

'What happened to Jack?'

'Cho caught him. And I'm guessig you didn't tell Rigsby what had happened to Grace?' Lisbon looks a bit ashamed and watches the floor.

'Why didn't you tell him? You just got him in the car and drove off without saying where you were taking him?'

'Pretty much,' she says then turns away from me. I respect Lisbon, but she can drive me crazy once in a while too. She walks towards Cho and starts talking to him. They both walk over to Jack and his mother who are on the walkway chatting. I see Cho telling them something and Mrs Collins face seems to fall and the lost look she has explains all. Cho is arresting him for having drugs and putting an agent's life in danger.

Lisbon takes Jack's arm and leads him to the back seats of the big car. Protects his head as he ducks in and slams the door shut. Cho jumps into the drivers seat and pulls off, leaving the scene.

I assume Lisbon is coming with me as she has no other way of getting back. I sit in my car and wait for the petite agent to hop in next to me.

However she surprises me a little. She is bent over looking in through the little window and she knocks on the glass. I motion for her to join me and she smiles her smile and gets in.

'Can I get a lift back?' She asks.

'Sure. I don't see why not,' I reply calmly. She seems so bubbly. 'What's happened?' I wonder.

'Nothing.'

'Then why are you like this?'

'Like what?' She tilts her head a confused expression placed on her face. I look out of the window on my side.

'Well, you knocked to enter my car. You smiled at me for no apparent reason. You then skipped into my car. You asked me for something. Now your sat here and haven't stopped looking at me the whole time I've been saying this,' I turn back to look at her. She immediately looks away and her eyes zip everywhere bar me.

'...We've...got a break through in the case,' she finally says. I know this probably isn't the real reason. But I'll except it for now.

'Where do you want to go?'I ask.

'Where are you going?'

'I think I might go and check on Grace in the hospital. You know. Friendly faces and all that.'

'Can I come?' She says.

'I...sure you can come,' I start but change my mind.

'Jane...'

'Lisbon...'I say, knowing this annoys her.

'Are...are you two...' Before she has chance to finish I know what she is trying to ask.

'No. No we're not. I see Van Pelt as a friend. And that is all she'll be. You know what happens if I get too close to people. They get hurt, today being a great example.'

'It wasn't your fault though Jane.'

'No...it wasn't. But she still got hurt. And badly. If I get too close to people. Things end badly Teresa. I can't take friends further than being just that, being just friends.' She looks away from me and into her lap. She knows what I'm saying is what I really think, because I addressed her using her first name. Only on rare occasions do I do that.

'I'll-we'll protect you. The team.'

'I don't need protecting though Lisbon, it's those who I get close to that need the protecting. Not me,' I feel mean and ashamed at being so blunt and horrid to her. She's only trying to help. But the thought that I could possibly never get close to anyone again... It drives me mad with guilt and annoyance.

This moment seems the right time to pull away and drive to the hospital. I want to be friendly to Grace who has had misfortune. However the one thing that sticks on my mind is how nasty I was to Lisbon.

I'm truly sorry Teresa Lisbon...