The door suddenly opened, and the cupboard was flooded with light. I squinted, to make out who the silhouette was. Shit.

He looked from me to Carter, me with my messed up hair, and Carter who was still breathing hard. He put two and two together.

Max grabbed Carter by the collar, and pulled him out.

“What the hell, man?” he yelled, pushing Carter to the floor. “What were you doing in there with my girlfriend?”

Everyone stopped to watch.

Carter tried to get up, but Max slammed him back down again.

“Tell me!”

Carter punched Max in the stomach, and while Max was stumbling back, he jumped up. I was in full panic-mode – how dare he do that to Max?

“Stop it!” I yelled, as Max retaliated with a kick. Carter tried to avoid it, but he took some damage. Max tried to punch him, but Carter grabbed him by his neck, and pulled his fist back…

Forgetting every single thing I’d been taught, I ran at Carter, and punched him with my right fist. Not the right way. My hand was in the completely wrong shape, and I knew as soon as I made contact, I would’ve at least fractured it.

Carter let go out Max, and cussed loudly, cradling his nose. Whatever.

“Are you okay?” Max said, taking my broken hand. It was swelling already. “Should we go to the nurse?”

“Fine,” I muttered. He led me to the nurse, and as I walked, I made eye-contact with Kyle. He was in the crowd.

He smiled.

Oh crap. I have to fight with him tonight.

***

“What were you doing with Carter?” Max asked. He was on the other side of the room, glaring at me.

I didn’t answer, concentrating on bandaging my wound.

“Alexis?”

I bit one end, trying to tie it up.

“Hello?”

“What?!” I yelled. “What, Max? Don’t you trust me, at least a little? We weren’t doing anything!”

My fingers fumbled with the bandage.

“For God’s sake,” Max mumbled, walking over the me, and taking my hurt hand. “I’ll do it.”

I watched his face, as he bandaged my hand.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered. I don’t say sorry very often – when I do, it feels almost like I’m losing. But I kind of felt like sorry was needed right now.

“No, I’m sorry,” Max said, looking straight into my eyes. “For not trusting you.”

There was a rush of guilt.

“Right,” I mumbled, glancing away.

***

I entered the school gym, and flicked on the lights. It was completely empty, and each of my footsteps echoed through it. The walls were painted a light green.

I stretched out, and winced when I moved my thumb. Could I really do this?

Yes. I had to.

“Are you really going to fight me today?”

I spun around, to face Kyle.

“Yes.”

“Even with that hand?”

“I could take you without both my hands.”

He walked towards me, smirking. “You sound confident.”

“I am confident, Kyle. I can take you.”

“Do you want to prove it, then?”

I looked at him, testing to see if he was being serious. When his smug expression didn’t change, I ran towards him, feinting to the left, then aiming for the right.

He grabbed my hand – my unhurt one – and slammed me down.

I groaned.

How was he this fast? When I’d fought him before (as a friendly thing), he was way slower. He couldn’t have gotten this good in only two years… Unless he was constantly practicing. It had to be a fluke. He couldn’t be this good…

I leapt up, and spun the semi-circle, my foot aiming for his head.

He punched my chest, and I collapsed.

I tried to regain my breath.

“Have you had enough?” he said, his voice completely empty. I pushed myself up with my hands, ignoring the sharp pain that flitted through my hand.

“Obviously not,” he muttered. He came at me this time, and his boot slammed into my chin. Shit. My fingers went to my jaw, and when I looked down, I saw blood.

How did Max take him, if I couldn’t?

Kyle must’ve let Max win.

I got up again, and tried a spinning kick. He grabbed my foot, and slammed me to the ground. I spat blood, and wiped it from my mouth.

“Giving up, now?”

“Never!” I yelled, pushing myself up, and attempting to punch him. He grabbed my fist, and twisted.

“Now?”

“No.” My teeth where gritted with pain. He was going to break my wrist.

“How about…now?” he taunted, twisting harder.

I said nothing.

“Now?” he whispered, right into me ear, twisting even harder.

“No!” I screamed.

He let go. “Would you rather die, than do what I say? You would rather die, than leave Max?”

“Yes,” I spat. Tears were flowing freely now. “I would rather die.”

He looked at me, his eyes filled with an emotion I couldn’t read.

Then he turned.

“What? That’s it?”

“I can’t fight against you.”

***

$ Kyle $

I smiled bitterly, as I left the gym.

Where was all this passion two years ago?

Well done, Alexis. You’ve finally found someone worth dying for.

***

Author's Note: Sorry, didn't proof-read cos had no time. Bye!!!!

VOMMENT!!!!!