(Chapter 24)

+Alexis+

“Alexis…?” It was my Mom’s voice. “Can we come in?”

I asked, closing my eyes. My room was completely pitch black. I couldn’t bring myself to switch on my lights. I would see myself. Oh God…

“No,” I said, my voice hoarse. “Please don’t come in.”

“But we have something to tell you.”

Oh, that’s right. Dad was back. I swallowed dryly, and bit my lip. “Tell me, then.”

“What?” she said, sounding upset. “Here?”

“Yes.”

“Darling…it’s so big, so important, we have to tell you face to face.”

I closed my eyes, and almost smiled. I knew what it was already. It was obvious – it’s been obvious for so long.

“Just say it.”

“We’re…getting divorced.”

It was my Dad’s voice. It was so clear through the door. He hadn’t talked to me, properly, face-to-face in months, yet this is the first thing he says to me?

I didn’t reply.

Slowly, all my childhood memories…they faded away…

But this is me. I survive. I can survive anything. I pick myself back up, and I move on.

“Dad…can I leave school, now? I know I told you I would leave after spring term, but…can I leave now?”

He was silent for a moment. “You know what this means, though, right?”

“I know. I go to India.”

***

=Hailey=

“Where’s Max?” Tiffany asked, glaring at the jock who stared back at her with real terror.

“I…uh…”

“He doesn’t know,” I told Tiffany, rolling my eyes. It was so typical for her to stress out, like this. “Max hasn’t talked to anyone. Not after… Look, just give up, alright?”

As usual, Tiffany ignored me.

Was I meant to be regretting this?

Did the revenge thing matter, that much?

I pictured Alexis’s face, again.

I had to go apologize.

***

+Alexis+

“Miss Alexis?”

“Leave me alone, okay?” I yelled. I’d ordered some cardboard boxes, express delivery, and I was piling my stuff into it. “I’m not interested!”

“There is a girl here, Miss Alexis.”

I froze. A girl? Who would come, and talk to me?

“What’s her name?” I called.

There was some mumbling.

“Hailey, she says.”

“Don’t let her come in!” I yelled, panicking. That bitch – she betrayed me, but she still has the guts to come here herself? I was going to kill her.

Yet, at the same time, I wasn’t so angry… It was my fault. I was the one who slept with him… No one made me. I closed my eyes.

I snapped them open again, when I heard scuffling, and some footsteps up the stairs. No way…was she really going to come up here?!