xxvi - 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘺

Start from the beginning

Ada nodded somewhat solemnly, a quiet pressing falling on the two moments later before she decided to shift - she had known Tommy all her life and knew when he needed time for himself.

But as usual, she knew deep down he was not letting on the full extent of what was going on in that clouded maze of a mind.

-

Back at the Arrow House, the day was ambling by slowly as Verity tried to keep young Charlie occupied as well as herself.

The two had a long ride on the horses in the morning, did some baking in the early afternoon and now found themselves in the snug living room - Verity writing some lyrics down in her notebook whilst Charlie read one of his story books he loved so dearly.

"What are you writing?" The young boy asked, pulling himself from the world of knights and dragons for one moment to see Verity jotting down small phrases that sounded pretty to her as lyricisms.

She wished she could answer, but she wasn't even sure herself. She felt so lost at the moment, and with the Eden perished she was so unsure of her future as a singer. Not to mention the way Scarlett had been acting on the morning after the party. Verity's mind was racing over a million different things and she found herself struggling to articulate what she was even doing.

"Just... just some words," she replied, sighing at how simple it sounded, "some words I think are pretty." She smiled, closing the notebook up slowly. Strangely enough, the book was rather private. Sure, most of it was song material but they came from experiences - heart break, lust, tragedy - things a young boy didn't need to know about, that was for sure.

"Pretty words?" He asked, sounding genuinely interested.

"For songs, maybe." She smiled, "words that paint pretty pictures in your head." Verity simplified, not wanting to go into the logistics of her work with young Charlie at this time.

The boy accepted this answer, and returned happily to his book. He was silent for some time, when he eventually sighed.

"I wonder when daddy will be home." He hummed with a musing tone, one which Verity could resonate with.

"Yes, I wonder." She responded quietly, tapping her nails on the outer leather case of her bound notebook - when from outside the room she heard the loud and grand chiming of the front door. Like a guard dog, her senses prickled and she wondered who had any sort of business? Tommy had asked Francis to clear any appointments before he left, who might this be?

Moments later, the maid in question had answered the door and her voice sounded friendly and well acquainted with the person at the door. Unable to keep herself back, Verity whispered for Charlie to stay there as she headed out to the hallway.

"Mr Solomons! I'm afraid Mr Shelby isn't home." Francis explained, as the figure of a well dressed man wearing a long black coat and scarf stepped into the hallway.

"Well thanks, Love." He started, his tone a staple cockney drawl. "Seems like the bastard's tryna' avoid me, see? I call all his fuckin' offices to be told he ain't around." The man labelled as Mr Solomons exclaimed. "I've got more chance of seeing the fuckin' Loch Ness monster at this rate."

Curious, Verity stepped out flush into the hallway, her hands linked across her stomach.

"Mr Shelby is in Birmingham on business." Verity further enforced, her eyes glinting with protective curiosity. The last thing she wanted was unwelcome company shouting and swearing in the hallway, and she wasn't letting Francis potentially feel pressured or uncomfortable. She had heard the name 'Solomons' thrown around before by Scarlett and Arthur mainly ... it appeared this must be the man they talked of.