2. Second chances

Lena's POV

An entire week passed, and still, there was no evidence of Lex's existence which was terrible news because knowing my brother, it meant that he was up to something. His strategy was to let us calm down for a while to forget about him and then he would strike when we'd least expect it. But I wouldn't let this happen. Nothing else mattered to me, I was wholly concentrated on finding him. Even though, sometimes my stupid brain would think about Kara and disorientate me completely. An entire week had passed and still no sign of her. In the old world, we would see each other every day, lunching together on our breaks, or watch her favourite shows at nights or play games and even when we didn't have time to meet, we would call each other before bedtime to catch up. Only when Mon-El left this daily contact stopped, and it made me miss her a lot. Back then, I knew she was grieving, and I tried to give her the space she needed. But now even though we were on good terms, there was a significant distance between us. And I wasn't sure if it was possible to build a bridge to restore it or if this was the end of our friendship. I didn't want it to be. I wanted to try. Because I attempted to forget her, to erase her from my life but I couldn't do it. I loved her too much, and my emotions for her were so deep, that made me see the dark path I followed. I've never had a friend like her, like ever. And I knew that her intentions were pure hiding her identity, but she hurt me, and I wasn't sure how could I just forget that and move on. Maybe ignoring everything and pretending nothing ever happened could work. Perhaps not, but I had to try it. For three days now, I had been working unstoppably keeping my mind busy, but now I had finished all my obligations, and I was bored. I missed working in CatCo, and this fact had nothing to do with Kara. Selling it to Andrea was a mistake. It triggered my curiosity, now that she knew about her powers how she would use them. Would she join Supergirl's squad maybe? I couldn't imagine it, Kara and Andrea, fighting crime together. They were so different, their morality, their attitude, everything. Perhaps she would use her power to steal. Obsidian was destroyed after Supergirl's speech, no one wanted to use the lenses anymore. Only CatCo was left, and maybe now it was the right time to convince her to sell it back to me. I grabbed my bag quickly and stormed out of the office, telling Jess to take the rest of the day off.

No one's POV

Three days had passed since Nia's, and Brainiac's departure and everything were peaceful. So peaceful that it bothered everyone. They thought it was the calm before the storm. Kara was on patrol every day, except for the hours she spent practising journalism. Then Alex or J'onn would replace her. After Obsidian's failure, Andrea had focused entirely on CatCo, making Kara's life miserable. She sold the offices Obsidian occupied in the building, to be able to pay the compensations of her former workers and keep CatCo at the same time. Thinking like a businesswoman, she only cared about making more money. Especially now, that her needs for earnings were more significant than ever. As a result, she focused on women readers since they were most of the buyers and the magazine became more about gossip than actual informative articles. While the magazine gained an audience, it lost lots of readers at the same time, readers that disapproved the new CatCo's identity and called it a complete rag.

On the other hand, when Lena owned CatCo, her interventions were only a few, knowing it wasn't just business, but was about informing people with quality articles. This was one of the many reasons Kara missed her leadership. She also missed her as a friend but was afraid to call or invite her to the game nights. Scared of the consequences in their friendship, of becoming too pushy, Kara had decided to give her some time alone.

When she saw her in her workplace walking past the offices with that superiority air her friend possessed, Kara felt her cheeks burning, and her heartbeat sped up in an uncontrollable rhythm, making her lightheaded. Lena didn't seem to notice her due to the fact she didn't even bother to look around. Her eyes were focused on Andrea's office on purpose. Lena knew her friend was there, maybe even watching her, but she avoided her as the devil runs from incense.