Chapter Forty-Eight

Fun fact, sleeping on a table with nothing but napkins to cushion your head doesn't make for a good night's sleep

Fun fact, sleeping on a table with nothing but napkins to cushion your head doesn't make for a good night's sleep. At least, judging by the look on Pope's face, it didn't look very restful.

I didn't get much sleep at all, mostly just leaning up against the screened window and watching the stars. JJ stayed up most of the night too but fell asleep a few hours before dawn. He got a few hours more sleep than I did.

I rested my head against the window, having been faking being asleep to avoid JJ nagging me, and listened to him flick his lighter open and closed.

I listened as Pope walked closer.

"He's pinched for sure, man."

"No. They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him."

"Let's hope."

"You know, we were in that car. They're probably looking for us, too."

"Ever the ray of sunshine in the morning, Kie," I said, opening my eyes but avoiding eye contact with everyone.

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B."

"So, find him before they do?"

"Pope?" I got to my feet as he pulled the keys to JJ's dirt bike out of his backpack.

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat."

"Hey, you be careful, okay?" Kiara said, but Pope ignored her and turned toward JJ and I.

"Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

JJ and I shared a knowing look as Kiara walked out after Pope.

"Okay, what is your problem?" I heard Kiara ask as JJ and I followed after the two.

"No problem, officer. I'm just doing my job."

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings."

She tried to say more, but every time she spoke, Pope revved the engine.

"That's a dick move," I muttered, shaking my head.

He took off without another word just as a helicopter flew over.

"Who the hell is that?" JJ asked.

"I don't know, but it can't be good."

The three of us headed back inside the restaurant, Kiara obviously upset. She turned on the radio before going into the back to grab some boxes.

I turned to JJ as he chuckled.

"What?" I asked, unable to hid my smile at the sight of his.

"This is the song we danced to after stealing the drone."

I nodded, my smile growing as I listened to the catchy tune. JJ held out his hand, and I laughed as I took it. He pulled me into his chest, gripping my hand in his and placing his other one on my waist. We slowly swayed to the upbeat song. I placed my free hand on his shoulder, and he pressed a quick kiss to my forehead before resting his cheek on the top of my head.