Chapter 4

Chapter 4 — Shut Down

Harry was finishing up his after-school detention, his back growing more and more sore by the second. He and Aurora were tasked with the duty of cleaning the Great Hall for two hours, which was a pig sty from Lunch. Both he and his sister hadn't said a word to each other the whole time—all they had exchanged were glares.

Harry put the finishing touches on the end of Ravenclaw Table as Aurora finished Slytherin just as the clock bell gave five rings, signaling the end of their punishment. They both looked to Professor Lupin, who looked up from his book and said, "Off you go, then."

The siblings left the Great Hall in silence, both of them refusing to look at one another. Based on the amount of tension there had been in the room, Harry knew that it officially meant war with his sister.

Harry split off and went to the Heads' common room, intent on finishing his Homework before patrol that night. Hermione wasn't in the common room when Harry arrived, which meant that she was probably doing her homework in her room. Harry sighed and grabbed his bag from his room before plopping down on the comfy armchair.

He worked hard for two hours and was so focused on homework he would've kept on working through dinner if it wasn't for Hermione leaving her room. She didn't hesitate this time though, she walked as fast as she possibly could without running. By the time Harry put his stuff in his room and exited the common room, Hermione was nowhere in sight despite how long the hallway was. Harry stood outside of the common room door, debating whether or not to grab the Marauders' Map. In the end he chose not to, considering the fact that by the time he had grabbed it and caught up with her she would already be in the Great Hall.

When he did get down to dinner it was to find —who else but—Aurora at Hermione's side, both girls talking excitedly about something.

Probably some extra credit project, Harry mused. He wouldn't put it past either of them to purposely make their work- load heavier this early in the school year.

He walked past them with his head held high to show that he didn't mind that it was his sister sitting next to Hermione and not him. But out of the corner of his eye he saw both girls glance at him, look back at each other, and grin Great...now he had two of the smartest girls in the school plotting to humiliate him.

By the time he had taken his seat across from Ron, his imagination had come up with some pretty horrible things that could possibly happen to him at the hands of those two. Needless to say he was in a bit of a bad mood at the prospect, especially at the fact that it was his own sister helping his true love plot dastardly acts against him!

"How's it goin' with Granger, Harry?" Ron asked, mouth full and a grin on his face.

"It's only been eleven hours, you twit," said Harry, a bit of annoyance creeping into his voice. "This is actually going to take more than one day."

"Oh no!" said Ron in mock surprise. "Harry not getting his way in less than a day? It's the end of the world!"

"Bugger off," grumbled Harry before shoving a big bite of mashed potatoes in his mouth, ending the conversation.

"Settle down, please," came the voice of Dumbledore from the staff table. "Settle down. I have an announcement I would like to make."

A few whispers were exchanged between the students, each trying to guess what it would be before Dumbledore would say it in a second. "I would like to announce that Hogwarts will be holding a Winter Ball in the Great Hall on Christmas night. Fourth years and above only unless invited by an upperclassmen. Formal attire is required."