Chapter 1

Like Father, Like Son

 Chapter 1 — The Beginning

 "Potter streaks up the pitch, dribbling through the defenders. Fakes a pass, jukes a defender. Spins around the sweeper, Potter only has to beat the goalie now! Potter comes down the middle of the box, the goalie's out there to meet the ball! Potter pulls a move, the keeper is down! The goal is open, the goal is open! Potter buries it in the back of the net! Arsenal wins! Arsenal wins!"

 8-year-old Miranda Potter pumped her fists in the air and ran in circles, laughing out loud. 17-year-old Harry Potter grabbed the star of their one-on-one soccer match and picked her up, setting her on his shoulders. He ran in circles as his sister gave the imaginary crowd bows and waves, laughing the whole time. When they had finally settled down, the two lay side-by side on the grass, watching the clouds drift lazily through the sky. 

"Let's play again!" Miranda exclaimed.

"Again?" questioned Harry exasperatedly. He loved his youngest sister, he really did, but they had played three games already! She was running him ragged!

"It's too hot," complained Harry. "Why don't we join Rory in the pool? I bet you she's bored in there all by herself.

" "Rory's boring though!" Miranda whined. "All she does is read! She never wants to play!"

That's because it's too bloody hot, Harry thought in his head. Out loud, he said, "Come on, she's not boring. She just likes to relax. Playing sports is our thing and reading is her thing."

"Then let's play another game!" Miranda exclaimed excitedly, sitting up. "Let Aurora read!"

"Not today," said Harry, putting his foot down. "I'm done with football for the day. Let's just relax in the pool."

Miranda's face became thoughtful. She asked, "More football tomorrow then, okay?"

Harry looked down at his lap, not wishing to see the look of pain on his sister's face that would surely come when he finished his next statement. "Miranda, you know...l'm leaving tomorrow, remember? I have to go to school again."

And even though Harry wasn't looking at her, he knew she was on the verge of tears just by the tone of her voice. "But you went to school last year!" she cried.

"I know," said Harry soothingly, trying to calm his sister down. He hated it when she cried because of him. "But this is my last year, then we can play all the football and quidditch and rugby you want. "

"But Harry," said Miranda quietly, causing Harry to look up into her eyes, which were wide with awe. "Mum says I'm not allowed to go on a broom until I've had my first lesson at Hogwarts!"

Harry just barely stopped himself from laughing at how cute and innocent she was. Ah, the simple life of an eight-year-old. "She trusts Madam Hooch over Gryffindor's Quidditch Captain?" Harry asked in mock-disbelief. He winked at Miranda. "What mum doesn't know won't hurt her."

"What don't I know that won't hurt me?" asked a stern voice from behind the pair.

Harry gulped, turning around and looking up into the emerald eyes he had inherited. "Er...um...you see..." under the look his mother was giving him. "I-I was just joking! Y-yes.. .that's it!"

"Harry and I are going to play Quidditch next summer!" Miranda exclaimed, jumping up and down in glee. So much for that, Harry thought to himself miserably.

Lily's eyes flashed dangerously, and Harry stood up, holding his hands up sheepishly. "Come on, Mum. This'll be my third year as Quidditch Captain! Surely I can do just as good a job as Madam Hooch!"