Rivals | O. Wood

"Where ya off to now, keeper?" my friend asked, nudging my shoulder with theirs. We were leaving our common room. I smiled and shook my head. I'd just found out that I made keeper for the Hufflepuff quidditch team.

"I've got potions in a few minutes."

"Very nice. I know you'll have fun. You've always been good with potions."

"You're not too bad."

"Don't you remember how awful my alihotsy draught was last year? It made you sneeze uncontrollably instead of laugh!"

I let out a chuckle remembering the look on Professor Snape's face. "Fair point. I guess I am a little glad I won't have to be your partner this term." They shoved my shoulder again. "I'm kidding!"

"Sure you are." They sighed. "Well, I'm off to muggle studies. I'll catch ya in the great hall for lunch."

"See ya!"

We split off and I made my way down to the potions classroom. When I got there, there were already a good number of students. Only a few seats were still open. I chose a free spot near the back and set down my things. The last couple students came in after me. When I looked up to see who had sat down beside me, I sighed.

"Hey there, (y/l/n)."

"Hi, Oliver."

Oliver Wood. Gryffindor team keeper. He was a good player, but I swear that he had nothing but that game in his head. Not exactly my ideal partner for potions class.

"I heard you made keeper," he said with a smile.

"Yeah, I did."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you."

"I didn't even know you played."

I smiled to myself. "You never asked."

"Well, I'm excited to see you in action. Maybe Hufflepuff will actually get a win or two this year."

I clenched my jaw. The Hufflepuff team had had their worst season in almost a century last year. Not a single win. I was determined to help bring us back this year.

"Can't wait to wipe the pitch with Gryffindor," I replied casually. I continued to prepare my things for class.

He scoffed. "That's some hefty trash talk from someone who's just made the team."

"What can I say. I'm confident in my capabilities."

"Full of it, more like."

I just smiled. "Well, I hope you're better at potions than you are quidditch."

Obviously, Oliver was a good quidditch player. He was the best keeper the school had seen in years. But it was too much fun to rile him up. Besides, I decided he could probably use some humbling.

~

"Is your arm alright?" I gestured to the sling. Oliver had taken a nasty hit in the Gryffindor vs Slytherin game this weekend.

Oliver shrugged. "Could be better. Definitely been worse."

"Well, that's good then." I opened my potions book to the page we'd left off on last lesson.

"That's it?"

"What else were you expecting me to say?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"I don't know. More than that."

I sighed. "Alright then." I set my book down and turned to give him my full attention. "Dearest Oliver, I am so pleased that your arm is not too badly injured. I would hate for you to have something to blame your loss on after Hufflepuff destroys Gryffindor next week."