Chapter 1

Izuku Midoriya felt somewhat groggy when he woke up. His eyes were blurred as he opened them, squinting at the surgical light that shone down on his face. Laying on a surgical table, a blanket covering his tiny body, he could hear his heart thumping in his ears. The thumping grew louder as he went in and out of sleep. Izuku was so tired, he couldn't think straight. His small body could hardly muster up enough energy to move, let alone sit up, and being in this state began to scare him greatly. He needed his mom and dad, who were supposed to be here with him, to help him calm down and feel safe. But he couldn't see or hear them, which made him even more nervous.

Izuku could hardly remember what happened. The only thing he was able to recall was talking to his father, Hisashi Midoriya. The latter was often gone for so long periods of time. He was rarely home. It made Izuku worry that he'd never see his father again, wondering if it was because he was a bad boy and didn't want to see him anymore. But tonight had been different. After months of waiting to see his father, he finally got the opportunity at the hospital. Hisashi wasn't hurt or sick, nor was Izuku or his mother, Inko. It was the family doctor who called them to visit at Jaku General Hospital, the old man who wore the weird goggles and had a mustache that was bushier than a toothbrush's.

Inko wasn't told why they needed to be at the hospital other than a particular new procedure. It was entirely unknown to her. Inko had kept it secret from her son. She usually told Izuku everything about where they were going or why they were going in the first place. But it appeared that neither of them knew the real purpose of what was happening. That is until they saw Hisashi. Izuku was over the moon to see his dad after so long, looking like he would burst into tears or at least one of them since Hisashi looked just as misty-eyed as his son. They talked for a while, Hisashi telling Izuku all the places he had been, cooking for the new up and coming Heroes with Quirks like nothing he'd ever seen.

 They talked for a while, Hisashi telling Izuku all the places he had been, cooking for the new up and coming Heroes with Quirks like nothing he'd ever seen

Izuku loved Quirks and Pro Heroes, it was seemingly all he ever talked about. Especially the Number One, the Symbol of Peace, All Might who he held above all others. Who could shrug off the mightiest blows, stair down evil and do it all with a fearless smile. To Izuku, that smile meant more to him than anything in the world. He wanted to be like All Might, to become a great Hero who everyone could look up to and feel safe. But all that quickly diminished the moment the family doctor got the results of Izuku Midoriya's Xrays. According to the test results, he had an extra joint in his pinky toe, which meant chances were he would never manifest a power. Izuku Midoriya would be Quirkless for the rest of his life. It devastated him. One night his mother found his watching his favorite All Might video where he saved over a dozen people at a time. A fearless smile on his face, telling everyone not to fear because he was here and that hope had arrived. A true hero had arrived. In tears, Izuku pointed to the screen and asked his mother if he could ever become a Hero even without a power.

Inko couldn't answer that question even if she wanted to.

In that deep and dark surgery room, there were dozens of glass jars covered with sheets filled with something unknown. But Izuku was not too scared because talking about Quirks and Heroes with his father calmed him down. But then Hisashi asked his young son if he could have a Quirk, one of his very own to use as he saw fit. What would it be? Any Quirk, the boy thought, any power for his own. It was an undoubtedly tricky answer for Izuku. His little mind went through thousands of possibilities ranging from incredible to something less flashy. But ultimately, he told his father that if he was going to have a Quirk, it would have to be as cool and strong as All Might's. It would be the last thing he remembered before everything went pitch black.