ρoιnт вreaĸ : two

Start from the beginning

"Easy brah," one of them says as he sticks his board into the sand. It's a light green with yellow and white stripes that wind around it. Beside it are two other boards, one a solid purple and the other silver with red stars along the tail area.

"I want you to meet someone. Taylor, this is Keno, my cousin." Keno has a round face, soft in features. His eyes are a dark brown and he has really long lashes. His hair is dripping with water, curling this way and that. He sticks his hand out and I take it.

"Sorry about the water." His cheeks tint red as he wipes his hands on his wet shorts.

Eventually the other guy comes toward us. He shakes his head and the thick wavy strands shoot water out, flinging onto my face and neck. I yelp at the feeling and he looks up, smiling. There's a dimple in his left cheek.

"Sorry man."

"I'm not a man," I snap out.

"Yeah Kai, I thought even you were smart enough to know that. With all the girls you've dated, I figured you were an expert on the female species by now," Becca says in between her laughter. I feel my cheeks burn red, now embarrassed by my reaction.

"Shut up or I'll tell your ma' how mean you are. You know she loves me." Kai gives me an eye crinkling smile, apologetic almost. "Sorry about that, I'm Kai."

"T-Taylor," I stammer out.

"Careful Taylor, Kai's a ladies’ man," Ida warns me.

"Just because you can't keep a boyfriend, doesn't give you the right to hate on such a charming brah," Keno jumps to Kai's defense.

"Thanks man," Kai says, clapping him on the shoulder. "Hey you guys are getting in yah? Waves are killer today."

"Of course we are!" Ida glares at Becca, "Missy here made me carry her board - she better get in."

"Oh you know it," Becca says, already pulling off her beige shorts.

"Ow," Kai says, biting his fist.

"Stop being a creep," Ida says with a roll of her eyes. She starts to take off her shorts as she looks up at me. "You surf?"

I enjoyed listening in on the conversation, now with everyone focused on me, especially Kai, I'm a fit of nerves and awkwardness.

"Nah, I've - it's not my thing." They all shake their heads and grin.

"It's not your thing, til it's your thing," Keno says, his voice low and slow, real stoner like it makes me laugh.

"You don't make sense," Becca says shaking her head. "Taylor swims - she won second place for her swim team last year."

I shake my head. "It was nothing, really."

Becca tosses her shorts near Ida's. "Well hopefully you get in the water and we'll be the judge. For now we surf!"

"Now you're speaking my language," Keno says, already heading for his board.

"Keep Taylor company?" Becca asks Kai and he shrugs.

"Sure, I need a break." He plops down on the sand, his arms dangling over his knees.

"Cool, see you in a bit," the girls call as they grab their boards, already jogging down toward the water. I take a seat beside Kai, engrossed in seeing how this turns out.

They all lie on their boards, paddling further and further. A wave comes up and I watch in anticipation as Becca stands up.

"Wow," I say under my breath as the wave and board slap against each other. Becca's body twists as she hits the wave again.