But the door was opened again before they could leave, and Grace came face to face with Cecily Beresford. Her hazel eyes were searching, and they settled on Grace almost instantly. Grace's heart stopped. Cecily's eyes flicked to Ruby, and a slight frown creased her forehead.

"Get out," she demanded rudely.

Ruby did not need to be asked twice. She all but ran from the bedroom, leaving Cecily standing between Grace and the door. Cecily pulled gently on the door behind her and it swung close with a slight squeak of the hinges before it latched.

"It can't be little Grace Denham, can it?" she remarked.

Grace hoped the duchess did not mean to refer to her as it. "I am Grace Denham, Your Grace," she said politely, respectfully, curtseying to the duchess as her station deserved.

Lord, whatever happened, Grace could not afford to anger the duchess. She needed her position at Ashwood House. If she was sacked, then her family would certainly starve. Her mother, Claire, Peter and Jem entirely depended on her keeping her job.

"My goodness," remarked Cecily, pursing her lips as she appraised Grace shamelessly, her eyes floating over Grace from the top of her head, to the tips of her toes. "You have grown up."

That tended to happen to children, thought Grace before she chastised herself. "I have," she said instead, as pleasantly as she could manage. "Are you well, Your Grace?" she asked politely.

She duchess responded with a facetious, teasing sort of laugh. "Oh, child, you shall not address me with questions. We are not acquainted," she said mockingly, and Grace clamped her lips shut, feeling embarrassed. "What are you doing in my house?" Her tone changed to one of short temper. She was demanding an answer from Grace.

"I work here," replied Grace, thinking her gown and apron explanation enough.

The duchess' eyes narrowed. "Mind your tongue!" scolded Cecily sharply.

Grace gasped. "Forgive me, I meant no offense," she pleaded, though entirely unsure what for. She needed to remember what her mother had always told her when she was a child. The duchess had never liked her, and Grace needed to endeavour to be as perfectly pleasant as she could muster.

"Why are you working in my house?" asked the duchess firmly.

"I have been a housemaid for five years, Your Grace, ever since my father passed away. My mother recently took a nasty fall and broke her leg. I am here to support my family, Your Grace." She prayed that the duchess could sympathise.

Cecily did seem to sense Grace's sincerity and desperation. Her shoulders, which had been quite tense, relaxed a little and she seemed to click her tongue as she thought. "Well, it seems you have the perfect motivation to be on your best behaviour then," she mused.

"I beg your pardon?"

"I know my son severed all ties with you years ago," said Cecily, so casually it felt like a slap across the face. She seemed pleased when her words made Grace flinch. "But you will have absolutely no reason to speak to Lord Beresford. There will be no repeat of any childish antics. I shall have no reason to dismiss you if you behave just as a housemaid should. You are not to be seen or heard. My son need not even know you are here. Am I quite understood?" The duchess took a step towards her, standing several inches taller than Grace.

Grace nervously nodded, feeling as though she was once again a little girl getting into trouble for running amok with Adam.

"Run along now, and back to work. It seems your dear mama is depending on you," Cecily urged, waving Grace off.