Pax Aeternus

The man smiled, leaning over his throne, "I am the master of a million worlds, each identical to yours in every way. What exactly makes you think you can fight me, much less win?"

The sword she held felt slippery under her grasp as her palms perspired rapidly, though she could not comprehend why. He was nothing more than a weak man, unarmed, and at her mercy absolutely. All exits had been sealed. He could not run, he could not fight. He was a dead man. Then why was she so scared?

His gold throne seemed to tower over her as she trembled and spoke. "You are a dead man! Your empire, your tyranny ends here!"

He just laughed, a mighty bellowing laugh that echoed throughout the vaulted ceilings. "Well then," he opened his arms. "Fight me." 

Her ready position faltered as shock stunned her mind. She had not known what she had expected, but it was not this. Her muscles spasmed in the fear she failed to suppress as she lifted up her sword and took a might swing, only to find that it had sliced through nothing but air.

Lead-poisoned laughter filled the air as she slowly realized in horror that the emperor's throne was empty. He had gone.

His voice echoed throughout the empty chamber. "Did you really think we could have conquered the multiverse without having a couple tricks up our sleeves? The Pax Romana is eternal, as is their leader."

She stuttered as she called out to the air "W-who are you? A demon? A god?"

Only silence answered as she realized that the emperor had gone.