chapter two

a/n: this one is kinda short. just setting the story up a bit more

five years later

"do you think i should ask him out?" val asked tyler as they sat side by side on a brown cushioned couch. she was referring to a boy named oliver. tyler and val had hung out with him and some other friends a few times before. so tyler knew him almost as well as she did.

his heart broke at that statement. it was like a smack in the face, a clear declaration that she just wasn't interested in him. he could've told her how he actually felt at that moment, but instead, he refrained. she didn't like him in that way, so there would've been no use in trying.

"yeah, go for it," tyler replied, putting on a fake smile. he didn't feel right saying no. he didn't want to hold her back from doing what she really wanted.

"are you sure? what if he rejects me?" she asked with a hint of doubt in her voice.

"he won't reject you. there's no way," tyler said. and it was true. not only did tyler think that she was beautiful, but she had such an amazing personality too.

"but he can reject me. and if he does, i'll look like an idiot," she stated.

"no, he'll look like an idiot. not you," tyler countered.

at that moment, tyler decided to give up on his hopes of him and val ever being together. he had been quiet about his feelings for years already, and she had obviously never noticed. she didn't like him then, and she didn't like him now. if she did, she wouldn't have been so interested in some other boy.

he truly did want her to be happy. even though the thought of val and oliver together made his heart sink down to the floor, he knew that he could deal with it.