chapter eleven

it'd been about a week since the group hung out with each other, and a little bit more than a week since val had that weird dream about tyler. and still, she couldn't get it off of her mind. it was probably because she refrained from telling oliver about it, but she just wasn't sure how to bring it up. she couldn't imagine a positive reaction from him while explaining that she'd dreamed about dating her best friend.

it was just making her feel so guilty though. and she knew that it didn't quite make any sense. obviously, she hadn't actually kissed tyler. it was all just a figment of her imagination. she hadn't wanted to imagine it. then again, she did admit to herself that being with tyler in her dream didn't seem all that bad. how was she supposed to explain that to her boyfriend without making him think that she was interested in tyler?

but maybe telling him would take this weight off of her shoulders. maybe he'd be upset at first, but he could easily get over it.

she decided then that she was going to tell him.

they were in a cafe, sitting down by the shop's window and drinking the coffees that they had just ordered. oliver was on his phone while val sat there quietly, trying to figure out how exactly to start the conversation.

"something's been bothering me," she said, causing oliver to look up and place his phone down, giving her his full attention. "i don't want you to get mad though," she added.

"what is it?" he asked.

"i had a dream about tyler," she started, staring down at the wooden table instead of looking at the boy in front of her. "and in the dream, we were dating." she was almost sure that she could see oliver slightly flinch at that.

"did anything happen?" he inquired.

"not much. we were just on the couch together, acting like a couple," she explained. "it's just been making me feel really bad. that's why i've been scared to tell you."

"oh," he replied quietly. he paused before speaking again. "well, it was just a dream. you can't really control it. you shouldn't feel bad about it either. and you don't have to be afraid to tell me anything," he said, giving her a reassuring smile. and just like that, she felt the stress leave her body.

that was one less thing for her to worry about. however, she still couldn't get over how she felt in that dream. how she enjoyed being in tyler's arms. would she actually feel that way in real life if tyler had held her the same way, or was it just something that her mind had made up? she couldn't tell for sure. and she also wasn't sure how in the world she was supposed to figure it out.

"so i've told you and aria now. you think that i should tell tyler and josh too?" she asked jokingly. they would either find it amusing, or be completely weirded out by it, she thought.

"yeah," he replied with a light laugh. "they're going on tour soon, aren't they?"

"yup," she responded. "and we'll get to see them when they come here!"

"that'll be fun," he said. "sometimes it's weird to think about how famous they actually are."

"i know," val agreed. it was true, they were pretty famous. they had a huge following online, and tons of people showed up to their concerts. yet they still acted like completely normal guys. no matter where they traveled around the world, they had always stayed connected to val, and she appreciated them for that.

"last time i went to get food with tyler, these girls asked him for a picture. but the thing is, they knew my name too. i thought that was pretty cool," she told him, recalling the recent memory. apparently, a lot of his fans knew her just from being his friend.

"then you better watch out at the next concert. you don't want a bunch of people swarming you for autographs," he said playfully. she laughed, imagining what she would do in that situation.

talking about going to the show only made her more excited. watching them preform was mesmerizing, and she enjoyed hanging out with them afterwards. however, she wasn't looking forward to being away from them for all that time. tyler usually called her constantly, but it just wasn't the same as getting to be with him in person. despite that, she did enjoy getting to hear him tell his stories from the shows.

"so, when are you hanging out with him again?" oliver asked, referring to the plans that she had made with tyler.

"tomorrow. why?"

"do you mind if i come along?"

val thought about it. she didn't know if he was asking because he had nothing else to do, or if he was yet again becoming envious.

"okay. i'll tell tyler," she replied. she didn't want to tell him no when he might've just wanted to spend more time with them.

she wondered if tyler would care about oliver coming with. he might've been a little annoyed, but not enough to say anything about it. but she couldn't blame him for wanting to spend time alone with her. sometimes it was obvious when oliver got jealous, and it probably made him uncomfortable.

hopefully oliver wouldn't act that way again. he seemed to have been trusting val and tyler's friendship more. and she was glad for it. she didn't want any more arguments. she also didn't want to have to run back to tyler, asking him for advice again. she was happy that she knew that she could talk to him about anything, but burdening him was the last thing that she wanted to do.

she just hoped that oliver coming along wasn't going to cause any more issues.