8. The End Finally Begins

Junko Enoshima laughed. She was enjoying watching the world rolling around in confusion.

"Isn't it wonderful? I've already got almost all the little winners in my control!" She smiled at the results her plan was raking in, "I can't wait to destroy us all... humans are such pathetic creatures. It will be much better when we're extinct, don't ya think?"

Izuru said nothing. He was looking at the piling list of programs Junko had collected. Names that felt familiar, yet he couldn't know them.

[program/?/ERR/data not found]

"And I've got full control on what they act like! I can make them less and less like themselves with no consequences!" She couldn't stop herself from laughing at the thoughts, "Most of them don't even realize it!"

"Isn't it time to get everyone up and running?" Mukuro asked cautiously.

Junko thought for a moment, "Oh yes, I knew I was forgetting something!"

She pressed a button on her computer and selected a list of 8 names.

"Only 8 to start with... then we'll see how they're doing." She muttered to herself.

The sound of thundering footsteps came from behind her. She turned in her swivel chair to look at each of them.

Junko Spread her arms in welcome, "I have some work for you all! I need you to show our classmates what despair feels like. Just make sure they recognize you... and don't forget the main priority!"

8 people nodded at her, Junko smiled and waved at them. They all turned in sync and exited the building.

Komaru and Asahina filled the others in on what they had been told.

Asahina muttered to herself, "Wonder why Makoto would do that... They were such good friends but Kyoko always seems so enraged these days..."

"How can you tell?" Komaru asked her, "Her expressions are always so blank."

"Oh I've just known her for a while so I can tell." Aoi said sheepishly, not realizing Komaru had heard her.

"So she's run off to do something because Naegi told her to?" Byakuya said, his voice sharp and harsh, "How idiotic. He's the enemy here. He could be lying to get us to split apart."

Toko quickly jumped in, "Yeah! How stupid!"

"I don't need you siding with me." Byakuya glared at Toko.

"Well anyway, what are we supposed to do?" Komaru asked them all, "Clearly we can't have her wander off alone!"

"Obviously," Byakuya rolled his eyes, "How do you suppose we chase after her?"

"Didn't you have a helicopter?" Asahina asked him.

"Yes, however-" He paused, "I see. Good point. We can travel in that."

"Hey!" Asahina yelled at him, "Were you just gonna shoot down my idea just like that?"

"Stop shouting at master!" Toko cried.

"Guys calm down. We need to get to the helicopter." Komaru said to them.

"Wait, don't we need a better plan?" Mitarai asked.

"We don't have time." Komaru stood up, "Let's go!"

They all ran after Komaru, quickly climbing into the helicopter. Mitarai hesitated.

"Come on! We gotta go!" Asahina held out her hand to him. He stared at it.

"I'm... I'm afraid of heights..." He mumbled.