Chapter 1: 'Layton's Disappearance'

Dear Reader,

There was once a myth that if you entered the cursed woods of Monchel, there would be a werewolf awaiting for your arrival.
Every full moon, when the clock strikes midnight, his castle would light up, and that would be a sign that he's out to come out and get his next pray.
However, whoever goes in the woods, never comes back out alive, so if he catches you, there is unfortunately no chance of survival.
Tell me, do you believe this horrifying myth?

- ???

"Father Hershel...?" A little voice called out as she slowly opened Layton's bedroom door. "Are you awake?" she said in a quiet voice as she walked inside.
Layton opened his eyes and looked at the girl walking toward him with a tray. That girl was Flora, who had recently been adopted by him.
"Flora? It's so early... Why aren't you asleep?" he asked, getting up.
It was almost five in the morning, but it was even darker outside from the heavy rain.
"I'm scared..." she mumbled, clearly embarrassed.
"Hm? Why is that?"
"I'm scared of the thunder..." she blurted as she gave Layton his tea.
"Flora..." he said as he put his tea next to his bedside. "There is no need to be scared. I'm here, alright?" he said while giggling softly with a comforting smile on his face.
"I know that, but..." she stuttered. "I don't like the rain..."
Layton laughed. "Come here." he chuckled, as he spread his arms out for a hug.
Flora smiled happily as she hugged her father, already feeling less scared.
"If you ever feel scared, I'm always here." he comforted as he let go.
"Yes! I know!" She exclaimed, already back in her energetic mood. "By the way, we're leaving in 4 hours! Aren't you excited?!"
Layton chuckled softly. "Yes, yes, I'm aware. I can't to visit Monte D'or again, and I'm sure you're going to get along just fine with them as well. Not to mention, Luke is coming with us."
"You've told me so much about them!" She gushed. "I bet Randall is going to be so proud and excited when he sees you!" She said as she opened a box with a camera inside. "He IS picking us up once we arrive, right?"
"Ah, yes.. Randall." He mumbled under his breath. "Yes, he's going to be taking us to his home."
"Will everything there be luxurious just like you said?!" She shouted in excitement as she handed the camera over to Hershel.
"Well, everything there is quite posh, I must say."
Suddenly, some lightning struck in the distance, making Flora jump. She quickly embraced her father tightly in fear, waiting until the extremely loud thunder was over.
"It's alright, dear... There's absolutely nothing to be scared of." Layton reassured as he patted her head.
"I-I know that, it's just... I'm just scared of it... I can't help it... I'm sorry..."
"It's alright... I know you can't control this fear. But I will do everything in my power to help you get over it." Layton said, filled with determination.
"Thank you, Father Hershel!" she said calmly. "Anyways, why did you say that this camera is an artifact? You haven't even used it! Also, cameras weren't even a THING thousands of years ago!"
"I know that. But this is no ordinary, old, rusty camera, Flora. There is so much more to it, I am sure of it."
"But people might start laughing at you..."
"They won't." he insisted. "I know what I am doing."
"A-Alright, Father Hershel... I trust you."
Layton's frown quickly turned back into his happy and calm smile.
"Put this somewhere safe, won't you, dear?" he said in quite a malicious yet calm tone.
"O-Oh... Yes, Father! I will!"
"Don't drop it!"
Flora grabbed the camera and headed for the door.
"Oh, and Flora, go to bed... This is a big day for all of us, and it would be such a shame if you missed it because you had  a headache."
"But, I can't... No matter how hard I try!"
"Then just lay on your bed, and close your eyes... Rest as much as you can."
"Okay, Father..." she said as she shut the door behind her.
Layton smiled as grabbed his tea cup and drank it in one go.
"Yes... Today is going to be a good day." he mumbled as he put it on the tray. "Everything will be fine."
A few seconds later whilst he stared at the wall, he snapped out of his imagination and turned the light off and went back go sleep.
A few hours later, poor Hershel woke up to the sound of somebody shaking him.
"Papa! Wake up! It's time to go!"
"Ngh... Hm?"
He looked up and it was Flora staring down at him. She had already packed up Layton's things, and had gotten ready herself.
"We've got to go to Monte D'or and you're still sleeping! Honestly, what will the others think about this?!"