Byleth was silent for a moment, "Did you know who she was?" she asked.

Dimitri shook his head, "I don't know... But I have a guess" he said, then stood there quietly for a moment. "Ah, I suppose I haven't told you about that yet," he finally said.

Byleth furrowed her eyebrows, "What are you talking about?" she questioned.

"I was attacked inside the monastery the other day. It caused quite the uproar" Dimitri said. For a brief moment it looked as if he were considering something, "The ones who attacked me... Were some of the youths we taught swordsmanship to, once upon a time" he sighed.

Byleth's eyes widened with shock. Here in the monastery? That seemed like such a stupid place to attack someone, and to attack the future King, nonetheless. "Are you ok?" she asked.

Dimitri nodded, "Of course. I could capture the lot of them with my eyes closed" he said "It seems they were raised by a group of thieves who were put down five years ago" he sighed then paused for a moment. "I was told that Lady Rhea took custody of them, claiming that the children were innocent" Dimitri said, "I have taken so many lives... And with each one, I faced hatred" he said softly then shook his head. "During the last five years especially. My life was not so much different from that of a wild beast..." Dimitri confessed, "And that young girl's brother... at some point, I must have..." he trailed off and sighed "That's why I thought it natural that someone would retaliate someday". A look of disgust fell upon his face, Byleth knew it wasn't directed towards her, but to himself. "Because I hated, because I stole, and... because I killed" Dimitri sighed and shook his head, he now looked... Sad. "But with those children, it's different... We raised our blades with the best of intentions, only to hurt them in the end" Dimitri said, "I suppose this is just another thing we will just have to live with" he sighed.

Byleth closed her eyes for a moment, it was hard to hear that someone that they had taught to yield their blade started doing it for the wrong reasons. But then again... Was raising it for a war any better? "It's part of the job" Byleth sighed, opening her eyes to meet Dimitri's gaze.

Dimitri nodded his head, "Yes..." he sighed "As one who chose to fight, it is my responsibility to confront this anguish and the true nature of war..." he said, pausing for a moment "Until the day my life comes to an end" he sighed.

"It is mine as well," Byleth said.

Dimitri nodded, "Perhaps..." he said staring down at her observing her face. "You know, Byleth... There is something that I recently realized" he said, leaning down closer to Byleth and grabbing her hand. "I never knew it could be so comforting to have someone standing by my side..." he said.

Byleth looked up at Dimitri, his eye was closed but he looked content "Dimitri..." Byleth said softly.

Dimitri sighed, "Your hands are so warm... Have they always been?" he asked.

Byleth stood there for a moment, "Dimitri" she said drawing his attention back.

His face was a light shade of pink, and he released Byleth's hand "My apologies" he said "I forgot myself for a moment" he added.

Byleth nodded, "Of, course" she said shifting around awkwardly for a moment. "Oh, you should be off to bed now" Byleth said, "It's late and we leave early tomorrow" she added and turned to her room door. "Good night Dimitri," Byleth said and opened her door.

Dimitri stood there for a second, "Good night Byleth" he replied, then Byleth entered the comfort of her room.

Dimitri:

The sun was beginning to rise at last, they had left from the monastery not too long ago and began their voyage for Enbarr.

They decided on a group of eleven of their most elite soldiers to lead the rest of their army into Enbarr. The others stayed behind, for obvious reasons...