Chapter 17

It was after school the next day. One more day until the weekend! Woohoo! Oh, that was cringe. Peter and I had planned to meet up in his, our, lab in thirty minutes. Currently I was finishing my lemonade that I had grabbed from Starbucks on the way home. The roof isn't that hard to access, and it has a beautiful view.

Today was rather clear. Well, as clear as this city can be. The cars were driving through the streets, the people on the ground looked like ants, the occasional tress looked like broccoli, and there were some light, white, puffy cumulus clouds dotted around the sky. The clouds looked like cotton candy, and, although I knew they were just water crystals and dust, I wanted to take a bite out of the fluffy stuff.

I finished my lemonade and got up from my spot. I gave a final glance at the scene then headed back down to my room. I threw my cup in the trash and put away the rest of my stuff. I hadn't stopped here before I went to the roof so I still had my school things on me. I don't need those in the lab.

I still had about 25 minutes until I had to get downstairs. I- I guess I could research that. I walked over to my desk with my laptop under my arm, set my computer down, and opened it. I logged into my personal account and opened a new tab. Ok. Here we go. Where to start..?

I guess I could start with some terms. I typed into the search bar, 'lgbt+ sexual orientation terms'. That's a good place to start. The first things that popped up was what lgbtq stood for. Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer. I knew what all of those were. I looked at the next term which included the 'i' and the 'a' at the end. Intersex and asexual/aromantic/agender. What's intersex?

I opened a new tab and typed 'what is intersex'. I clicked on the first article and saw the definition. Well, less of a definition and more of a description. "A person born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn't seem to fit the typical definitions of male or female." Interesting! I'll have to add that to my list of terms to know.

Next on my list was asexual/aromantic/agender. The names themselves pretty much gave it away considering the prefix 'a' means not or without. That must mean asexual means not having sexual attraction, aromantic means not having romantic attraction, and agender means you're without a gender. Cool... Hm. Maybe I should do some more research on the frist two.

So there I went. I typed in 'asexual' to my search bar and hit enter. I clicked on one of the first results to show up. It was titled, What Does It Mean to Be Asexual? As I was reading there was also some information about being aromantic, so I killed two birds with one stone. That metaphor is so... dark.

I finished with a couple minutes to spare. I can finish my research later, but for now I need to head down to the lab. I hopped in the elevator and told FIRDAY to bring me down to the lab floor. Within a minute I was skipping down the hall and at the door. I told FRIDAY to open it, thank goodness all they need is voice confirmation.

The door popped open so I hopped inside. Peter was already playing around with some schematics at his workstation. "Hello!" I called as I looked around the lab. I hadn't been in here before, It was so. Darn. Cool. Peter had been playing with a hologram thingy when I walked in. Cool. There were little robots Peter had made around the room. Also cool. There were so many cabinets filled with tech as well. Ah! This is heaven- Someone pinch me. Though not actually because I don't want to leave.

Peter looked up from where he was fooling around and gave me a smile. "Hiya, Grace! Welcome to the lab! Would you like a quick tour?" He asked. A tour would probably help. So I agreed, and within yet another ten minutes I was ready to get to work. First things first, I need Kaylee. I went over to my station and hooked up my phone where I had put a copy of her. I moved a copy over to the computer and put on the pair of headphones so I could talk to her and make sure I didn't mess anything up.