Chapter 1

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil

- Psalm 23:4

Chapter 1

It's midday when I arrive in New Orleans. I take my mirror out of my bag  and check my hair. I tuck an escaped hair back behind my ear and smile. I have dark brown wavy hair and light blue eyes. My skin is quite light and I have little freckles in my face. I put the mirror away and look back through the bus window. When the bus arrives at my stop, I stand up and walk towards the door. I wave at the busdriver as I step out of the bus. After walking a few blocks I already regret putting on my high heels. "Should've gone with sneakers Veronica.." I mumble to myself.

Luckily my new appartment is not far away. I walk through te French quarter when I arrive at the spot. I open the front door and walk up the stairs.
The echo of my heels is probably heard by the whole building. I take my keys out of my bag and open the front door. I  walk into my new appartment and put my bag down on the side table. The appartment is small, with a open kitchen and a balcony at the front, looking out on the street. There is one bedroom and a small bathroom attached to it. The furniture is simple, small budget and all. I take my phone out of my pocket and dial Cammy's number.

I've known Cammy since we both attended the same school. She studied psychology as well. After one year though I quit and started working in a local bar. When I heard Cammy was moving back to New Orleans, I said I'd move there with her. I needed a change. Cammy picks up the phone after a few seconds. "Veronica! Did you get here safely?" I heard Cammy say cheerfull. "Yes, it was fine. The bus was hot and loud but someone didn't want to come get me!" I say laughing. " Not fair! I told you if you would've come tomorrow I could've gotten you. " she whines, being extra dramatic. We both laugh. "I'm a little busy now, but you'll come to Rousseau's tonight to meet everyone right?" Cammy says happily. "I'll introduce you to everyone and explain where everything is. That makes it a lot easier on your first day!"
"Ofcourse! I'll never turn down an offer like that. Seeya tonight!" I respond. "Seeya girl!" Cammy says. I put the phone back in my pocket as I start to unpack the last bags that I took with me today.

When I arrive at Rousseau's there are a few people at the bar already. Jazz music is playing in the background. I walk up to the bar as Cammy spots me. "You're here!" She almost shouts. She runs towards me and grabs my hand. "I'll introduce you. Come on!" She pulls me to the kitchen where I see 2 women talking. They fall quiet as soon as they see us coming. We stop in front of them. "Veronica, this are Jane-Anne and Sophie Deveraux. Jane-Anne and Sophie, this is Veronica!" Cammy smiles and I shake both their hands. "Nice to meet you. We've heard a lot about you" Jane-Anne says with a welcoming smile. "Not all good I hope?" The girls respond with a laugh. "I wouldn't dare" Cammy says, hardly keeping another giggle in. After getting to know Jane-Anne and Sophie a little bit we head to the bar and Cammy pours me a glass of bourbon.

Rousseau's is full of people, and at the end of the night I'm dancing with Sophie when I see Cammy talking to a handsome, dark colored man. I was just about to walk to them when I overhear their conversation and decide to listen in. Has Cammy set her eye on someone this quickly? I see hem looking directly in her eyes quite weirdly. "You are gonna move out of New Orleans. You decided it's not your thing after all. Tomorrow you will pack your things, call everyone that needs to know and leave. Do you understand?" The handsome man says. "Yes, I understand." Cammy responds calmly. "Good. Now forget we had this conversation." He walks off and Cammy  stands there odly for a minute before walking back to the bar. She then continues serving the gasts as if nothing happened. I frown and walk up to her. "Who is mister dark and handsome you were talking to?" I say teasing. "Who?" Cammy says confused. "That guy you were talking to a few seconds ago?" I point at the place where she just had a conversation with him." She shrugs. "How many drinks did you have? I haven't talked to anyone there. I've been here, working, all night." She looks at me concerned. "But I just.." I scratch my head as I look for the guy, but he must've left already. "Never mind. Time to go home." I smile at her. "Yeah, you do that girl. Be careful." She gives me a quick smile before she pours a drink and serves it to a customer.

I walk outside and see Jane-Ann and Sophie walking from Rousseau's, frequently checking around them if anyone is following them. "I have to be certain Sophie." Jane-Anne whispers. "No Jane-Anne! Marcel will kill you if you use magic. It's not worth it!" Sophie seems quite irritated. Jane-Anne then spots me and pokes Sophie with her elbow. "Be carefull Veronica! See you in a few days!" She and Sophie wave at me. I wave back as I walk home and dive straight in bed.

The next day I get a call from Cammy. "Veronica? It's Cammy.  I'm sorry to tell you on such a short notice, but I'm moving out of New Orleans" She says, almost coldly. I think about the conversation I heard yesterday for a bit. Why does she suddenly want to move? Did he convince her? It can't be. "What? Why?" I respond. "It's not my thing after all. I'm sorry. Talk to you later!" I want to say something else but she has already hung up the phone. "That was weird" I mumble to myself. I decide to spend the day cleaning the moving boxes and before I know it's dark and I go to bed.

A few days later I arrive at Rousseau's early to start my shift. When I walk in, I see a distressed Sophie. "Soph? What's wrong?" I say while walking towards her. "My sister. My sister died yesterday. She was murdered." She says, her voice breaking. I give her a hug. I decide not to ask too much, worried I'll just upset her more. She seems thankfull I'm not too chatty. "If I you need anyone, don't hesitate to ask me." I smile shortly and walk to the bar. The first customers walk in and my first shift begins.

After a few hours everywhere there are people chatting, drinking and dancing. I'm talking to a customer when I see a guy walking in. He has dark hair and looks sophisticated. His suit looks expensive. He walks up to me and I pour him a drink.

"I'm looking for Jane-Anne Deveraux. Do you know where I might find her?" He sounds charming but also dangerous. "I'm sorry, she died yesterday. But her sister is in the kitchen, she might be able to help you." I smile at him. He looks at me for just too long and says: "I didn't catch your name." He smiles charmingly. "My name is Veronica. Veronica Romero." I blush a little while he drinks his drink within seconds and puts the glass back on the bar. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Elijah. Elijah Mikaelson" He says. I put away the glass when he softly grabs my shoulder. I look him in the eye, ready to say something but he's quicker. He looks me in the eye. "Do you know anything about the Death of Jane-Ann?" He looks at me without breaking eye contact. "No. I only know she was murdered." I respond, not knowing why I did. "Did you see anything suspicious in the last few days?" He says. "I overheard Jane-Anne and Sophie talking outside.
Sophie tried to convince Jane-Anne to not do something. She said Marcel would kill her if she used magic. But I'm sure I heard it wrong. Magic is not real " I tell him. "Thank you. Forget we had this conversation." I clean his glass and when I look up, he is gone.
What was I doing? Weird. I resume my shift and afterwards I walk straight home. I take a quick shower and hop into bed.

When I walk around the park days later, I see someone painting while talking to Sophie. Her phone rings, and she apologizes while walking away for a bit to pick it up. I walk towards the guy. He has dark blonde hair and is really good looking. His painting is quite dark but beautiful. "Wow. That's really pretty. I can almost feel the emotions." I say while looking at the painting. He turns around and looks at me from head to toe. "You like art?" He smirks. "Not normally, no. But this I like." I smile flirtatious. He smirks again. "I take that as a compliment love. What's your name?" He says while turning his body towards me. "My name is Veronica. What about you?" I respond. "Niklaus Mikaelson. But you may call me Klaus." He says smirking.