Chapter 14: Let Go

Nightmare was going to tell Killer to search elsewhere so they could cover more ground, but they didn't even manage to get far at all, before he picked up some anxiety over to the direction of the castle. Looking over with interest, he motioned for Killer to follow.

He stepped over the grass and weaved through the trees, to see Horror holding an unconscious Dream tightly in his arms, right outside the castle. Why did he look so battered? Was this because of the spar? Unconciously, his face fixed into a glare. Horror practically jumped as he saw Nightmare emerge from the trees and walked closer. "B-boss!"

"Give him here." He demanded, extending his arms at Horror. Horror quickly handled him over, but the way he still held steadily, really proved a point. Dream slumped over in his arms while he checked for injuries. Thankfully it seemed he had passed out from exhaustion more than anything else.

And then Horror handed him a leg. Dream's leg to be specific. What the fuck. How did he run with a broken leg.

"Killer!" He shouted, before whipping around to face Killer. Killer winced at his name being called. And if he didn't already look like a kicked puppy, he definitely did now. "Explain. Now."

Horror simply watched nervously from the sides, saying something about getting Dust, before leaving entirely. Killer glanced over at Horror leaving, feeling just a little betrayed. Of course, he quickly turned back to face Nightmare.

"I might've... possibly stabbed his leg..." he fidgeted under the glare. "B-but I didn't break it! I really didn't break his-"

Nightmare raised his tendrils threateningly, pressing one at Killer. "You will tell me, what exactly it is that you did. And you won't leave anything out."

Killer nodded quickly.

Nightmare listened as Killer detailed the events leading to the point when Dream ran away. It would seem that Killer had said things upsetting to Dream, causing him to get extremely distressed and retaliate, running away.

Oh, Dream was definitely no angel when it came to violence, but he was someone who would hold back unless desperate, or when he feels it is justified. In which Dream always felt justified in stabbing him full of arrows, which was fair.

"You should have known better than to push when the signs had been obvious." He scolded, despite being the worst offender. "I do not want to see any of you mistreating Dream anymore, is that understood?"

A silent nod of acknowledgement and another apology.

Nightmare gave a deep, long sigh before heading towards the castle still holding Dream... and his leg. "It is not me you have to apologise to." He said, before the door closed behind him.

Killer had not been lying. So that must mean that Dream had ran until his leg fucking broke off. What a mess. Thankfully, due to the nature of skeletons, the bleeding wouldn't be too an big issue.

His turned the doorknob to Dream's room, and with a push, the wind rushed out. In the room with only the bare minimums, empty walls and a single bed greeted him. It was much less dusty and cluttered than it had been before the cleaning, no doubt. But the old wallpapers have not been changed. They bore tears in them, their floral patterns ruined. His eyes trailed up to see a clock hung high on the wall, with hands that had long stopped.

He lowered Dream onto the bed and placed his leg where it would be if it weren't severed. Nightmare stared at the unmoving Dream for a little while longer before leaving the room.

Nightmare came back with rolls of bandages and some wet cloth. Kneeling next to the bed, he removed Dream's boot from his detached leg. He wiped the dirt and blood off of him. It didn't help that the dirt was literally everywhere. Then he wrapped the dressing tightly around the bones in an attempt to reattach them. It wasn't going to help much with the recovery, but at least it was better than nothing at the moment.