Chapter 3: Reprieve

"Oh thank stars you're finally here." Dream exclaimed when he saw Nightmare coming through the door. Finally.

"Ugh, I hate keeping you here." Nightmare said, rubbing his brow. "I can't even kill you. That's the worst part."

"Then let me leave! This place is the absolute worst! You don't let me move around." Dream whined.

"You're a prisoner. What else did you expect? Besides, I cannot afford to have you killing yourself again, so you have to stay here."

"But brother! I'm not going to kill myself anymore!" Dream tried to explain, hands tight on the bars.

"How can I be sure of that? After that thing you pulled I think I might have to keep you here forever if I don't want to suddenly die in my sleep."

"You can know I'm geniune if you actually read my emotions!"

"…"

"I'm dying, brother! Dying of boredom!!" He said dramatically. "I don't think you understand how bad it is to do absolutely nothing, for this long!" Dream shook the bars and they rattled slightly. "I just sit here, stare at the celling and walls, all day!"

"Stars, Dream you're so whiny!" Nightmare facepalmed, dragging his hands over his face in exasperation.

"You would be too if you had to sit in a cell and talk to yourself all day." Dream huffed, speaking softer this time. Then he continued, as Nightmare stared at him waiting for more. "I… did some reflection. You're right, …it was selfish of me to not consider the entire multiverse." He did think about it, but at that point he hadn't cared anymore. "I know I shouldn't just give up like that…"

At that, Nightmare seemed to relax. "Fine, I'll let you out for now. But NOT without supervision. And NO weapons for you."

"Yay!!" He jumped.

"Don't get so excited. I'm still not letting you leave this world. So don't try anything funny."

"Okay!"

"Ugh." Nightmare moved to open the cell. Dream walked out, very excited.

"How do you live in such a place? It's so dark all the time." Dream commented as he followed Nightmare outside. He walked through a long corridor dimly lit by lights.

"You are extremely noisy."

"I'm bored."

"Well shut up. I think I've heard enough of your voice for today." Nightmare huffed.

"That's rude-"

"Shut!" Dream visibly deflated. He probably shouldn't encourage tension in a situation like this. But it was his obligation as a brother to annoy Nightmare so Dream was really struggling in that aspect to shut up.

So his mouth was itching to say something, even if it meant going back behind the bars.

So Dream walked through a series of corridors, which he was sure to get lost in without a guide. Doors upon doors. What were in them?

Everything was dark, and it wasn't very pleasant to look at. It was mostly because he could barely see anything.

Finally, they reached a suitably cosy looking room. Even though it was positively the biggest room of them all. There was a nice fireplace and sofas were gathered around it. There was a television situated near it as well.

There were also stairs on both sides that lead to a small area you could call the second floor, and on it sat a throne, with some books on it. Someone's been living the life.