17.

----------------------------------                

      One month later      

Emma walked around, taking in her surroundings. Being back here was worse than death. A low shriek cut the air. She ran towards the direction of the sound. Then she saw it. Her brother. Laying on the ground. Screaming. Trashing. Crying out her name.

She couldn't bring her legs to move. Couldn't help as he looked up and said," Please." Couldn't do anything as his powers were stripped off. Her legs gave away and she fell on the hard ground. She crawled towards her brother but he'd stopped moving. Emma saw crimson liquid trailing down his mouth and then she screamed.

Emma woke up panting, covered in sweat. She shot for the bathroom and threw up her guts. Her nightmares had started the day after she'd escaped from the prison world. It was hard for her to sleep without fearing what or who would try to kill her in her sleep. Every night she would wake up covered in sweat and throw up her entire days food.

" Emma, are you....are you alright?" asked Ian, entering the bathroom.

" I'm probably a little sick but I'm fine."

He hesitated. Probably debating if he should leave or stay.

" I could make you soup," he said.

Emma nodded." That would be great."

She had grown to like Ian more than she'd admit. When she'd told him about her brother she was certain he was going to cry so she had to change the topic. She told him about Kai. His expressions were a mixture of horror and admiration.

He was so fascinated and overjoyed with the piece of information she'd shared with him.

-----------------------------

Emma sat in the Whitmore bar waiting for Ian. She hated it here. It always seemed as if someone were watching over her. Ian had already informed here that he was going to be late.

The waitress arrived with the beer she had ordered. She set in down in front of her and Emma thanked her. The waitress had extremely pretty eyes, Emma noticed. Deep blue. Exactly like Kai's.

Kai.

He still hadn't showed up. Maybe he'd really left her.She sighed and pushed away the thoughts.

Ian had left his phone with her. She cursed under her breath at what she was about to do. It was a bad idea. She shouldn't do it. But she had already dialed the number. Please pick up. Pick up. Pick up.

" Hello?" The voice that answered was laced with irritation. " Who is this?" 

Emma sighed in relief at the sound of that familiar voice. Just as she'd remembered. She hadn't even realized that tears had slipped from her eyes.