Never Make A Promise 18

Start from the beginning

"Don't worry about it. How are things then?"

"Pretty boring. Joyce is just working away here," I said.

"Well it is a business trip," he said.

"Guess you're right. I still wish this hotel had a fun pool or just a pool with a water slide at least," I said.

"Oh! There aren't any water slides there?"

"None."

"Dude."

"Lame."

"Sucks."

"I know," I sighed. I heard his mom calling him and telling him that he had a guest at the door. "Let me guess! Mattie!"

"Who is it mom?!" he called, not caring that he still had the phone right by his mouth and he was screaming in my ear! I held the phone five feet away, but not too far away to hear his mom reply and say that it was Mattie.

"You owe me two pennies!" I said.

"I never agreed to that!"

"It's a permanent deal, bud."

"Fine. When you and Damon end up together then, you're going to owe me two pennies," he said.

"I will never pay you two pennies until you pay me two pennies."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll mail 'em to you," he said sarcastically. "But you didn't really deny the fact that you and Damon are going to get together."

"That's not going to happen," I said, trying my annoyed mask on again. It wasn''t working out anymore.

"B.S. You know you like him. No, you LOVE HIM!"

"I really wish I didn't tell you that."

"No, no, come on. I'll stop teasing. So, have you talked to him lately?"

"Not lately, no."

"I see. Hey Mattie, I'm sure you'll talk to him sooner or later," he said.

"I'm sure I will too," I said, peeking out at him sleeping. I smiled slightly and rolled my eyes.

"Alright, I gotta go. Call Seth or something so he knows you're alive and you haven't been kidnapped," he said. I snorted. Not too far off there, I thought. Eh, I volunteeringly got in the car and I knew he was getting out of town. My fault, then.

"Okay, I'll call him," I said.

"Good, good. I'll talk to you later, then," he said.

"Got it," I said. I hung up and called Seth right away. His voicemail picked up and I realized it when it was too late.

"Hello?" he said.

"Seth, hey I just wanted to tell you-"

"Just pulling you leg! It's not really me! It's my voicemail and if you started talking to it, I fooled ya! Ya goon! Alrighty, leave me a message and perhaps I shall call you back," he finished. I absolutely hated his voicemail and that was the first thing out of my mouth when I heard the beep.

"When are you going to change that? Anyway, I was just calling to let you know that I'm alive and in Chicago with Joyce. We should be back within the week, I hope," I mumbled that last part. Again, who knows when we'll be home? Me and Damon, I mean. When I was done leaving Seth his voicemail, my phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hayley, I'm so sorry honey, but I guess I'm going to have to stay in Chicago longer than I thought," Joyce said. My eyes widened. Whoa, psychic much Hayley?