20. The Divergent Nightmare

Start from the beginning

My phone rang twice more, I answer the call, "MELANIE! What the hell happened?" Lorraine screeches, surprised through the speaker.

I purse my lips, "Nothing, I was just thinking about something. Something popped up is all, is everything alright?" I ask her.

"You sound weird." She says to me.

"Define weird." I tell her, attempting to sound more like myself.

"Where are you? Exactly, you never actually told any of us where you went." She says to me, confusion clear in her voice and tone.

"Vancouver." I murmur, absentmindedly.

"You are in Vancouver, Canada? Right now?" She asks me.

"I'm on my way to the Academy now, just don't make that known, Lorraine. Are you still residing in the elite's room?" I ask her, toning down straight to business, she inhales sharply.

"Wait, you're on your way back? I thought you weren't arriving until Sunday afternoon, we were going to pick you up from the airport." She says through the phone, whilst sounding like she's telling someone else to 'wait', from what I'm hearing.

"Yeah, I'll probably only be half an hour and no, it's not necessary. Have you been down to the room yet?" I ask her in question.

"No, not yet. I guess we'll meet you there." She says, I agree, before hanging up, I knew I'd need to clean the car and change my shoes to heels before getting back, so during the time, I did, taking a little under an hour, instead. The ride straight back to the dorm was a quiet one, I put the wheel on automatic, so the vehicle detection systems took control and I could take a look at the files I found. All I found were files on the girl's police reports, meaning, I had a few documents from the morgue, but not enough to tally the real threat.

Why would these be locked in a box? They're not even substantial.

I still had yet to look at those coordinates that were sent to Erik, the time in which they found out I was at the club during the time, I had so much on my plate already. When the vehicle slowly pulls in, under the new shelter I'd ordered for the altered installations.

I see Lorraine waiting at the window, and a shimmering glimpse of the others on the new couch, I enfold the files into my main bag and lift it from the bonnet, Lorraine opens the door for me, embracing me tightly once I'm inside, I return her hug.

"I haven't been gone that long." I murmur, removing my trench coat and placing it on the hanger as I look over to the individuals on the couch.

I briefly connect eyes with Edmund, who maintains his scrutinising stare, the feeling was almost too recognisable, intent and penetrating, always studying and analysing, as if he's searching but he doesn't know what for, yet.

"Three weeks is a while. I just can't believe you were in Vancouver, I thought you'd have been closer." She says to me, taking a seat on the couch, next to Erik, I look at the space between them. If Marvin just grew a bloody conscience, he might have still had a chance with her.

Her and Erik glance at each other, strangely, before she turns back to me and asks slowly, conspicuously, "What?"

I blink, before sighing in defeat, "Nothing."

"No, tell me." She insists.

"It's nothing, and the family was already in Vancouver when they called, I was flown over, just to get away from everything for a bit. The family time was good too, kind of felt like I hadn't seen them in a year." I murmur, moving towards the fireplace, I tap the correct placing, to open the screen, I begin the data sequencing analyzations for the room and bedrooms.