24) Between The Both of Us

Start from the beginning

"I think we were both reluctant to risk the equilibrium."

Hermione nodded and looked into his eyes, gnawing at her lower lip. "So—now that it turns out that we were both wrong about a lot—where—where exactly does that leave this—us?"

A smirk shifted across Draco's lips. "Here is good. Both of us, right here. This is a fairly good place for us to stay."

The corner of Hermione's mouth quirked upward and she reached out and stroked his healed cheek. "You really did hit your head hard. I'm currently straddling you in the hospital ward."

"But there are privacy curtains," Draco said in a low purr as his hold on her wrists tightened, pressing against the glands on her wrists.

Hermione gave a small moan and Draco leaned forward.

"We can't snog here," she said, panting faintly and arching away. "Pomfrey said I was supposed to follow the rules."

"No reading. Quiet activities. Kissing is a quiet activity," Draco said in a husky voice as he closed in.

Hermione tilted her head back in order to keep her lips away from Draco's. He just dragged his mouth along her throat. She choked back a whimper. "I think there are rules against kissing here."

"No." Draco shook his head and his lips ghosted along her jaw. She shivered and felt heat spreading through her steadily. "There are no rules against snogging in the infirmary." Draco pulled her back toward him.

Hermione shook her head and arched an eyebrow. "How do you know that?"

Draco stilled and drew back slightly, looking sheepish. "I looked it up in third year. It seemed like a useful thing to know."

Hermione snorted doubtfully and he shrugged. "I did. I'm a Slytherin. You can't find loopholes if you don't study the rules. I read all the rulebooks for the castle and Hogwarts: A History, just to make sure I knew the context of things."

Hermione straightened so she could look at Draco. "You—you've read Hogwarts: A History?" Her voice squeaked slightly.

Draco looked suddenly cagey. "Only a few times. It seemed like a practical source of information on the castle."

Hermione stared at him wide-eyed. "But no one reads Hogwarts: A History. Even most of the Ravenclaws have only skimmed it."

Draco jutted his chin out, looking sullen. "It's well written. It'll never be a classic like History of Magic, but Bathilda Bagshot was an exceptional historian. All her books are worth reading. You'd probably like it."

Hermione nearly laughed. There was heat spreading across her chest. "Draco, it's my favourite book."

Draco blinked.

"Oh." He blushed.

Hermione didn't pause to think, she just leaned forward and kissed him.

He gave a low gasp as his mouth met hers.

They should talk more—

But maybe later.

She wrapped her arms around his neck. He pulled her body hard against his and his tongue pressed inside her mouth. The taste of him. She loved the taste of him.

One of his hands slid up her spine and tangled in her hair.

Her glands were starting to throb and she gripped the fabric of his pajama shirt and felt tempted to tear it off. There was a part of her still quietly snarling "theyhurtyour Alpha." She felt possessive.