18. The Bicker and Banter of Dainty Twin Laughter

Magsimula sa umpisa

"That's good news, I understand why you needed some space, just make sure to keep up with your studies, I'll have you scheduled back in, in exactly three weeks, is that alright?" She offers, sounding like she's moving a few papers around.

"Yes, that would be brilliant. Thank you, Principal Jewel."

"My pleasure, please, have a good rest, Melanie." She hung up not long after.

I give my screen the weirdest of looks, before moving to the en-suite door, Mathias gives me a look of disbelief, "Are you constipated or something?" He asks me.

I look down at my phone, "If I didn't need this device as much as I do, it would have smacked into your skull by now." I tell him, and he scoffs, but Marvin chuckles.

Mathias follows up with, "Who takes their phone in the bathroom?" Still as incredulous as he was before. I kick his mattress and move over to my own.

"Someone who takes a private call. Are you hiding something from me, Mel?" Marvin asks, placing down his book, and tilting his head at me.

My nose twitches, "What do you want?" I negotiate. He won't ask, as long as I give him something in return. Usually information. Something he perfected when we were six years old.

"Is Lorraine seeing anyone?" He asks me, straight on point, not holding anything back. I knew he still cared for her as he did in high school. They were each other's first loves until he decided he wanted to move to Washington. Lorraine didn't.

I shrug, "I don't even know if it's serious or not."

"Just give me a name."

"That would be breaching her privacy, Marvin," I tell him, sighing as I lie on my back with my laptop on my abdomen, he stands and shoves himself on my bed, closing my laptop.

"Just give me a name." He repeats.

I shake my head, "Marvin, No. It's not a good idea. You've still got feelings for her..." I trail off at his glare.

"I just...care about her. If she's with someone...I want her to be safe." He murmurs, looking down at his fiddling hands on his lap, clenching his jaw.

"Who are you trying to convince?" Mathias scoffs from where he sits.

"Damnit, just shut up, Mathias." Marvin snaps just as the door opens, revealing an inquisitive Mom, along with Dad, who narrows his eyes between Mathias and Marvin.

Marvin grunts, moving over to his bed, Mom smiles at us. It was small but spoke in volumes. Her babies were home, so to speak, "It feels nice to have you all back together." I don't know if she's being sarcastic, Mom is rarely ever sarcastic but she's incredibly difficult to read.

Dad points at Marvin and Mathias, "Stop fighting, you'll give your mother a headache." He says, massaging Mom's shoulders. I smile to myself, shaking my head, Marvin sighs, giving Mom a concerned look, and Mathias does the same.

Mom rolls her eyes, "Don't worry them, Maximus. I'm fine, you two. Melanie, I just got an email...from your Principal, Dandelion Jewel, I believe her name is." I sit up straight, giving her shocked eyes, I move my laptop on the duvet, and she gives me a raised eyebrow.

"What did she say?" I ask neutrally, or at least I tried to sound that way.

"Just that you'll be scheduled for online studies and basically a large apology and a promise that the school's security will be tightened. She didn't seem to know I was an investor and that I have authority over where the family's money will be put. I got the impression she's rather...entitled." Well, even Mom got bad vibes, and that was just through email.