18. The Bicker and Banter of Dainty Twin Laughter

Start from the beginning

"Yes, just give me a second," I murmur, closing the en-suite door and locking it.

I continue, "What's going on?"

"Look, I saw that Professor, the one Charlize had spoken about, with that guy you had been talking to at the club, I don't know what they were talking about, but it looked serious, I just wanted to warn you that whoever this guy is, he's followed you before." He explains to me, I furrow my eyebrows. It must have been Forthright who took the photo. It's the most logical, Forthright was there that night I went to the club. He must have sent that text message to the Elite.

Without proof though, it was all just based on a theory.

A pretty calculating one at that.

"Thank you for telling me. Look, I might be away for a bit longer, is there someplace we can meet at another time, or you could just tell me what's at Sylvan point, it's in front of the academy, isn't it, just across the lake?" I ask, in all hopefulness.

He sighs, "I'll email you everything you need to know. It's getting heavy here in town, that Detective Johnson has been watching me whenever he can and so has that Professor. Sylvan point will have the files you're looking for and information vital to what you're doing. I know who you are, Melanie. I think you can bring justice home." He says to me, I sit on the edge of the bathtub.

"I know I'm a target, Maven. You must know that too." I whisper.

He sighs in defeat, "I know. It's why I'm giving you this information. Charlize didn't have the resources to take these people down, whoever it is that's doing this. She was on scholarship, Melanie. She was given multiple threats that she would be pulled from the Academy if she were to try to reach out to anyone."

"I'm so sorry for your loss, Maven." I say, sincerely.

"Thank you. Thank you for helping me. Look, I'll send you those coordinates. Make sure that when you go to Sylvan point, you have a way to contact someone if there's any need to and you do this during the afternoon, not at night, it's farther to get back quick enough. The combination of what you'll find is the date on which I lost my Charlize. I am trusting you with this information; please, don't let it get in the wrong hands; no one can be trusted, Melanie. No one." His warning was loud and clear, but the meaning could be broader or narrower than I had originally thought.

"Of course," I say, just as another incoming call comes in, "-I'm sorry, I've got to go. Please, send the coordinates, I'll do what I can." I murmur, and he agrees before ending the call. I answer the next one.

"Hello," I murmur.

"Melanie, it's Principal Jewel." I freeze in my position.

"Principal Jewel, I hadn't expected your call," I tell her as much. Shock rivalled in my veins like awaiting lightning storms.

"Yes, I just wanted to check in with you. I understand you had an urgent flight out, I have altered your studies for online until you return." She tells me, I furrow my eyebrows.

"Oh, thank you. I was just about to email you." I tell her. Confused.

She laughs lightly, "No, that's absolutely fine. Processor Forthright had suggested this but he was under the impression you were departing tomorrow, he wanted to check in with your physical, mental, and emotional status after the burglary. I'd like to personally assure you that security changes have been effectively made to the Academy, it is our top priority to ensure the safety of all students and staff members. Detective Johnson has also requested to speak with you when you return." I sigh in defeat.

"Thank you for notifying me of the developments, the flight was at such short notice. I plan to return just under three weeks. I'm glad to hear security will be heightened at the Academy, thank you, Principal Jewel." I murmur, sounding neutral when my heart races in anticipation. Something always pinned me with Principal Jewel, but it was just a mere vibe, nothing substantial. Unfortunately.