Chapter 69

"We are not going to the bunker,'' Luna said, after Lexa placed her swords on the weaponsrack.

It had been a long few weeks since that reveal to Luna, and Lexa had not spoken much to her thereafter. However, she had expected this conversation to arise. So with a sigh, she turned towards Luna—her arms were crossed, her gaze stone, as she languished by the counter with stiff rigidity, eyes boring into Lexa.

She closed her eyes, bit back a tight sigh, and opening them, looked up to meet Luna's gaze. ''I understand that the Fleimkipas had your people murdered. You have my condolences. But we are not leaving 1,200 others behind simply because of what one has done.''

''We can,'' Luna said, so passively and coldly to the likes of apathy; and Lexa felt as if she were conserving with a remorseless serial killer instead. "They are undeserving of life. It is the Fleimkipas that murdered my people are under that rotten tomb. I am not saving scum. Especially not when it regards them,'' she said with a sniff of disdain.

''I agree with Luna," came from the far side of the abode.

And it was at the recognition of the voice that Lexa blinked in disbelief, her bewilderment clear in her tone. ''Clarke— do you know what you're saying?''

''I do.'' Clarke stated simply, which had surprised Lexa more than it should've.

Lexa's stare reverted from Luna, to Clarke.

"Why?'' was all she gave, for her voice faltered to say any further on her mind.

''For our lives,'' she said so plainly it could've been with a shrug, and Lexa couldn't believe what she heard. ''For our survival.''

''That is not a reason,'' Lexa spat out. Her eyes still narrowed in disbelief. ''Clarke, if you believe not saving 1,200 is for our survival, then you may as well raze Mother Nature to its ground for all its done for us in Praimfaya.''

Clarke heaved a breath. And looked at her; her gaze wanting, pleading, and desperation had tinged her tone. ''Lexa, you can't possibly believe that everything'll be fine after all that shit that'd happened after you were dethroned again, and afterwards the controversy that gone on with the bunker. They're not gonna throw us a celebration— there's going to be a fucking war, and I'm not dragging us in there.''

"I won't let it happen,'' Lexa said, eyeing Clarke. ''If you wish for some reassurance.''

Clarke sighed. ''You're Heda, Lexa, but not to them. You don't have influence; not anymore, now that they follow Octavia.'' And when she didn't meet her eyes— ''Have you forgotten what they've done to you? To us? Thrown us out, left us to fend for ourselves and to die in the snow; had you shot in the base of your spine,'' and this Lexa exhaled, and looked away from Clarke, an emotion she didn't recognise—didn't want to recognise burning her cheeks, stoking the roaring flame in her legs. She would not get into this conversation. ''And yet you still forgive them? Want them saved?''

''I never forgave them,'' Lexa snapped back. ''I am only doing what is right.''

''Right, as in, harbouring fugitives? Murderers?'' Luna said lazily, with a slight smile. Clearly she was enjoying this. ''Slaughtering children for their blood; driving races extinct for the pursuit of a leader? That is right?''

''Right, as in saving 1,200 lives who are—'' and she caught herself because innocent was not the word to use in this context, "—which do not deserve death.'' A heavy breath. ''When we rein our people from the bunker, Luna—I can let you publicly execute Titus, if you see such to his crimes. Is that fine with you?''

There came a period of silence until Luna responded.

''I just do not understand your stance regarding thus,'' Luna said, eyeing Lexa with intention that made her grip the wheels of her chair. ''Titus is the reason you are paralysed for life,'' and Lexa stiffened, felt her grip tighten. ''He is the reason why my people are dead. Why your Natblidas are dead,'' and this she told herself to breathe, for Luna had spoken enough, and she couldn't, didn't need to hear anymore. "Why all of this had happened in the first place.'' A catlike smile had toyed her face; lazy. ''Why haven't you sought revenge already?''