~2~

We lost everything

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

Techno let go of Technic's shoulders as he stepped in front to face the doctor. "Uhm... yes. We're his grand kids...How is he?"

With out saying anything the doctor lowered his head and Techno knew that it wasn't going to be any good news. He turned around and held Technic hand. "Uhm...hey? Can you go down to the breakfast stall...and get me something to eat?" He pulled a soft smile. Technic frowned his eyebrows.
"Please... I haven't eaten since morning..." Technic seemed a bit hesitant but soon decided to go down.

The hallway was quiet. As soon as Technic was gone, Techno asked the doctor what happened. "Well... It's hard to explain... His an old man. This was bound to happen eventually."
Techno held the back of his neck. "Can you help him?" The doctors face seemed uncomfortable. "Only to a certain extent..."

"What do you mean?" Techno tried understanding what he was being told. "You see... He fell into a deep unconscious state... So deep that his brain was failing to keep the body functions going..."

Techno frowned. "What are you saying?" The doctor took a step forward before focusing on to Techno.

"Am saying that his body functions are slowly down. Important functions like insulin balancing which is done by the pancreas, Osmoregulation which is maintained by nephron blood vessels in the kidneys, the removal of the unwanted toxins created by respiration, these are excreted by the liver. Gas exchange system, the lungs, which bring in Oxygen and take out Carbon dioxide from the body and the heart...which transports the oxygen to every cell in his body."

He stopped to take a deep breath in.
"Am saying that all these functions are slowing down..."

Techno wiped away a tear that managed to escape while the doctor explained what was happening to his only other living family. The doctor brushed his hand against Techno's shoulder before softly speaking. "Am sorry...."

Techno turned back to see if his brother had returned or not. When he noticed nothing he quickly asked the doctor. "Can I see him?"
The doctors widened his eyes. "Are you sure?"

Techno frowned. He had the right to see his grandfather. He didn't know why the doctor would try and keep him from seeing his grandfather. The doctor noticed the frown and went to explain himself. "Oh... It's not that I don't want you to see him but the state he is in now...most people don't handle it well..."

Techno crossed his arms over his chest before speaking. "I'll be fine..."
The doctor hesitated for a second before backing up and turning to open the door. Techno watched as the doctor stepped to the side giving him a lay in.

Slow. Everything moved slow. Techno felt like hours had passed and more yet to come before get reached the bed. He looked down and was not able to recognize the man lying on the bed. He turned his head to look at the doctor but all he did was lower his head. Techno slowly looked back unable to believe that in the small amount of time they were able to disfigure him to a certain extent that he was unrecognizable by his own grandson.

He slowly brought his hand up and held his grandfather's hand tightly.
Techno's eyes became glossy as he looked at all the pipes, tubes and wires that were stuck in all over his grandfather's body. He lifted his head up trying to pull back his tears. "How long?" These words almost slipped past the doctor as they were just whispered.

"Well... right now the only thing keeping him alive is that machine"
The doctor said while pointing to a big piece of machinery that took a large space in the room. Techno looked at it.

The doctor moved to stand on the other side of the room. He checked some of the pipes and turned some switches before speaking. "You need to know that these machines can not keep him alive for ever. He is slowly dying, all this stuff does is  slow down the rate in which he is dying but the outcome is inevitable..."

Techno closed his eyes as he let go of the cold hand he was holding. The room was quiet and only the mechanical breathing was heard. Suddenly a loud metal object hitting the floor sounded in the room which caused Techno and the doctor to turn their eyes back. Technic stood at the door and a metal tray filled with food on the floor near his feet.

Techno turned his body and faced Technic. His heart began hurting when he saw Technic's eyes build up with tears...

"Is...Is that him?" Techno walked up to Technic preventing him from seeing how disfigured their grandfather was.

"Is he okay? P'...Is he okay?" Techno gently put his hands on Technics shoulders. "Let's go outside Nic..."
Technic pushed his brothers hands off him before he raised his voice. "No, I want to see him! Why won't you let me see him!?" He stepped to the side in attempt to walk to the bed but Techno took a hold of his left arm. "Nic..."

"I want to talk to him! Let me talk to him..." Technic struggled to pull his arm free. He tugged at it while his eyes kept falling back to the figure in the bed. After sometime Techno gave up and let go of Technic's hand, he watched as he walked up to the man and started crying. The doctor moved away and went towards the door while Technic begged for his grandfather to wake up.

Techno watched with glossy eyes at his brother who was  weeping his heart out. He felt a small tap to his shoulder and found the doctor standing behind him. "I'll wait outside...we still need to talk."

The doctor left the room leaving Techno to deal with his brother.
He walked up to Technic's side when he realized that he had stopped his crying. He rubbed his back and wiped his tears. "It's gonna be okay..."
Technic placed his head on his brother's shoulder before whispering.
"His not gonna walk up, is he?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Techno stepped out of the room after calming his brother down. He found the doctor sitting in one of the seats provided out side for waiting families.

Techno sat next to him."I know this is too soon for you but i do my job to help people so I really want to help you..." Techno nodded his head.

"I told you that he is dying and all that the machines are doing is to prolong his death but this is expensive..." Techno's heart skipped a beat before the doctor continued.

"The machines used to keep your grandfather alive are extremely expensive and payments are charged per day..."

Techno stroked his neck trying to digest the information he was just told. "I've looked at your medical records and I know for a fact that this will leave you bankrupt by tomorrow..."

Techno closed his eyes. The doctor sighed out loud. He hated having to do this but it was part of  his job...
"You need to consider pulling the plug..." Techno's heart dropped out of his chest as he heard what the doctor said. "What?" The doctor heard Techno speak for the first time during this conversation. "You want me to kill him?"

° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °