Chapter Ten [Edited]

CHAPTER TEN

Cassie's POV

        The click-clacking of shoes on the hallway tiles jolts me awake. My eyes flutter open and the doctor comes into the hospital room. "I have some good news for you," he says. I look at him expectingly. "You can go home today." I sit up fast and sigh when I feel the familiar tug of the medical cords. "Not yet," he says, laughing. "I have to take out your tubes first."

        He snaps on elastic gloves. The doctor takes the tubes out and lets them fall to the appliances they are attached to. When finished, he pulls his gloves off and drops them in the trash can. "Okay," he says. "We're all done. You can come to the lobby to check out." He leaves the room and I stand up from the bed.

        I stretch my legs and take off my hospital gown, putting on what is left of my street clothes. Walking out to the lobby, I look at the half burned through clothing adorning my body. The front desk is next to the door and I walk up to the lady sitting behind it. "I'm Cassie Stephenson," I tell her. "Room 138. I'm here to check out."

        "Okay," she says, jotting down my name and logging my room number into the computer. "I've got you logged out so you are free to go."

        "Thank you," I say. I walk out the hospital doors and take a deep breath of fresh air. I glance around at the vibrant buildings, trees and grass. So much more exciting than the bland room that was my home for the past three weeks. I turn on my heel and begin the long walk home. The street seems wider than it used to be, with more cracks in the sidewalk and the cement a darker color. When I pass the York Gazette building, I spot Mason standing by the window. He sees me as well and rushes out the door to greet me. "Hey," he says. "You're out of the hospital."

        "You work for the newspaper, don't you?" I ask after a minute.

        "Yes. I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

        I take a deep breath. "Speaking of things we need to talk about..."

        He stops in his tracks, his eyes searching my face. "What is it?"

        "I don't know how to say this."

        "Whatever it is, just tell me," he says. "I can take it."

        "I'm your sister," I say, much faster than I thought I would.

        His eyes widen but then a knowing smile creeps onto his face. "Good one, Cassie," he says. "You really had me going for a minute there."

        "No," I say. "Mason, I'm serious. You're my brother."

        "Cassie," he says, laughing. "I am not your brother! I don't know where you got this crazy idea in your head. Maybe it was all the pain medication you have been on."

        He starts walking faster and I rush to catch up with him. "Mason! I am not crazy! I am your sister!"

        "Leave me alone, Cassie," he says. My body stops at a standstill as I watch him walk away. Here I thought this would be a slow-motion lost brother and sister reunion like you see in the movies. Never would I of guessed he wouldn't believe me. I need to talk to Annie to see what she thinks I should do. I remember her mentioning she was an editor so I go to the York Gazette building to look for her. A nasty old man welcomes me when I walk in the door.

        "Hello," I say to him. "I am looking for Annie Morter. Is she here?" His face falls, like he's disappointed.

        "She doesn't work here anymore," he tells me.

        "Well this is just great! First I get hospitalized, then I find my long lost brother who doesn't believe I'm his sister. Then, to top it all off, the one girl who might help me convince him I am his sister, goes missing. This is just wonderful!" My heart races when I realize I said the entire thing out loud. "I'm sorry, sir," I say.

        "Is it Mason?" he asks. 

        My eyes get even bigger than they already were. I rush to his desk. "How did you know that?"

        "Mason is my son," he says.

        I am quiet for a moment before the reality of the situation dawns on me. "That would mean you're my..."

        "Father," he says, finishing my sentence for me. I search his face and jump back from him, crashing into a chair.

        "Where have you been?" I say, droplets filling my eyes. "We needed you! I thought you were dead! And when we lost mom... You left us!"

        The man stands up. "Cassie," he walks toward me but I get out of the chair and run out the door. Tears are streaming down my face as I sprint down the street. I can't stop crying, it feels like it will go on forever.

        "Cassie!" Mason's voice says when he catches me by the shoulders. "What's wrong?"

        "Why don't you ask our father, Mason?" I say, yelling through my tears. Realization glistens in his eyes.

        He turns around and runs towards the office, "DAD!" he screams. Watching the whole thing makes me weep harder, the world collapsing above me as I sink to the sidewalk. I cover my face with my hands and pour everything I have into my tears.

        Mason being my brother shocked me into another dimension but the owner of the York Gazette being my father? That scares me so much I won't ever be the same. I never would have dreamed he is still alive. The police seemed so serious when they told Mason and I our father was dead. I was only seventeen, and I hadn't seen my father in two days. What choice did I have if not to believe them? I don't want to face the fact that my father was cozy in New York all that time. That he just let Mason and I suffer. I don't want to face the truth of now I have to look the monster who abandoned me in the eyes. Mason and the boss appear outside the office, concerned looks on their faces as they search the area for me. I hope I'm never found.