"I know that you can handle yourself, but still. I can't just stand by and watch you get hurt or even die Hayden!"

"Oh, stop pretending that you care. Stop trying to tell me what to do! Stop trying to protect me!" Hayden shot back, tears starting to fall from his eyes.

Draco took a sharp breath, it tore him up inside that he made Hayden cry.

"What are you talking about? I would never try to-"

"Oh stop it! I know what you're trying to do, you're trying to swade me into a false sense of security, but guess what, I could never feel safe with you! You're a pathetic, self-obsessed little coward. How dare you try to tell me that you can protect me and bud into my personal life. I never asked for your help and I never will. So stop. Go away. Leave me alone. I never want to see your perfect face until you can figure out how to apologize for being a snobby prat." Hayden cried, tears streaming from his bi-colored eyes.

With that he walked straight through the portrait and into their dorm, locking it so Draco couldn't get in.

Draco was left outside of the portrait, drowning in his confusion and guilt.

---

When Draco finally entered the common room, he was met with the glares of the few Slytherins who were in the room and not in their dorms. One of them being Blaise, who walked right up to him.

"What did you do?" Blaise asked Draco, a bit unnerved at the sight of tears streaming down the angry face of the new Slytherin boy.

"He misunderstood what I was asking. I just wanted to make sure he was safe" Draco said, guilt evident in his voice.

"Well, I suggest that you hurry and make friends with him again, half the room right now I'm sure is willing to do anything to have him smiling again" Blaise said, glaring at Draco as he left.

Draco hurried out of the common room and up to where his and Hayden's dorm was, hoping that he didn't put any locking charms up.

Once he got up to their room, he paused, taking a breath, preparing himself for an argument that he hoped would not come.

He checked the door handle, but he couldn't open it, so he did lock me out.

"Hayden? Will you please open the door?" Draco tried.

No response. He tried again.

"Hayden, I would like to apologize to you face to face, not through a door. So, please, will you let me in?"

After a minute, Hayden finally opened the door. When Draco walked in, the first thing he saw was sad Hayden wrapped up in blankets in a ball on his bed. Draco couldn't help but think he looked adorable!

"Hayden." Draco said softly while sitting on the edge of Hayden's bed. "I'm sorry for upsetting you"

"And?" Hayden's muffled voice urged. Draco sighed but relented anyway.

"Hayden, I apologize for the way I sounded in the hall. I only want to make sure that you are safe. I know just how capable you are, and believe it or not, I admire you for that. In fact, I was probably a little jealous of that. I didn't mean to sound like I was belittling you in any way. I only wanted to offer you support. I still do, and I just wanted to say that if you ever need anything, I will do my very best to help" Draco apologized sincerely.

"I have learned, though, that there is much more to your life than I ever knew about, and as much as I am curious about it, I won't push you. But I do hope that one you can confide in me. I may not have always been the nicest person to be around-" Hayden scoffed "-alright, I was almost never nice, but I am trying to make up for it now. Hayden, call me crazy, but I feel a connection to you and that is why it would absolutely kill me to see you get hurt. Will you please accept my apology and understand that I will always do my best to make sure that nothing bad ever happens to you?"